I realised the before picture of the above was half way through prep and didn't show the true state of the engine bay. So below is an example side-by-side
I tackled the gear box. Originally I wanted to keep the 020 box from the mk2 but I found a huge leak in the main GB seal between the bell housing and gear housing. I wanted to replace the seal as I was adamant on keeping rod-change. But the seal replacement was a bigger job than I expect after doing some research. I had a spare 02a box from breaking the MK3 (thank god I didn't sell it) so I decided it would be best to use that.
The only thing is not running a hydro set-up, you need to use a SEAT Actuator with clutch cable bracket. Years ago these were readily available from SEAT for pennies. But as these are obsolete from Seat and after much failed ebay attempts on getting a used one, I had to pay way too much for a Brand-new actuator and cable/bracket kit. It nearly made me cry hitting the pay and confirm button. But hey! at least its new I suppose.
All new components for the subframe and suspension. The Subframe is the original mk2 that I cleaned and painted. It was in really good condition, so there was no need for a new one. The spots are actually water after I washed it down after I waxed it, just a little beading I promise . I decided on new wish bones as the originals weren't great. Whilst I was there i thought it was time for new Balljoints, ARB, engine mounts, drop links and a few other bits like all new bolts that aren't not pictured.
I also tackled the Brake Servo as the surface rust was quiet bad. I Put 80grit down on my sander and began on the rust, so I could have it primed and painted.
Then I decided to remove my plastics and I found this nightmare hiding away. Its amazing the amount crap the GTI trims hide. I've been under the car a hundred times and never spotted the sill being this bad. Unless it just rapidly deteriorated in the last 6 months. However, its quite possible it was damaged from it being jacket up on the sill, as you might noticed some areas are out of shape. Not only that there is two random screw holes in the sill which is just brilliant.
The floor pan seems solid enough though. I will have to take away some of the sealer to truly inspect.
So that's another spanner in works. But I am way on target for it being ready for March 2018