Sign in to follow this  
giles

BBS RC041-Reverse build.

giles   

Hi, not a wheel whore, just like wheels.

Im thinking of building some bbs rc041's.

However i have seen 1 or 2 with reverse build, for higher et and a different look.

(bronze mk2 in mk2 section)

Wondered what bolts you'd use. the existing ones?...correct length?

Anybody else done this.

Thanks. G

You mean the style5's?

If so you need or the orginal ones the pressed bolts or M8 bolts.

Pressed bolt are only aftermarket(chrome/gold) these days because BMW doesnt deliver them anymore.

fastmk1   

Style 5's are RC090.

I wouldnt have thought youd need different bolts as youre only changing the orientation of the dish, centre and basket so the thickness will remain the same, right?

Also, arent RC 041 and 042 wheels 2 peice?..

giles   

Style 5's are RC090.

I wouldnt have thought youd need different bolts as youre only changing the orientation of the dish, centre and basket so the thickness will remain the same, right?

Also, arent RC 041 and 042 wheels 2 peice?..

Yup they are 2 piece so should be easy? He says!

I dont know how to quote pictures, but if you check out page 276 of mk2 faves lovers and critiques you'll see what im on about!

....Assuming the thickness of the basket is 8mm, do i assume with the reverse build it'll give me another 8mm of offset? basket looks flat?

ta g

i'll admit now i don't know much about split wheels

but surely you can't reverse mount 2 piece splits?

Sure you can, providing it is a 2-piece rim with barrel and face, not a 2-pc rim where the dish comes off. It also depends on the machining of the face/center.

It is fairly easy to do on BBS LM's

Edited by Polo Classic

They are most likely M7.

Go with old ones is they look ok, and torque them to the right setting. I'm sure you will find the spec in the polishers tread in the faq

Tewkes   

Id imagine you'd have to use a slightly longer bolt as when you screw in from the face of the dish down into the centre piece, the bolt doesnt really do all the way to the bottom of the hole does it? So there fore if its reverse mounted it would have to clear the whole centre section THEN go into the dish. Id get longer to be safer and risk them not being screwed in enough.

fastmk1   

Sure you can, providing it is a 2-piece rim with barrel and face, not a 2-pc rim where the dish comes off.

Huh? They're both the same thing :wacko:

If the barrel/basket and face are joined as one, then the dish has to come off to make it a 2-piece.

Tewkes   

Some wheels split differently, the barrel and dish are together and the centre (face) splits from them.

jamie..   

you use the orignal bolts, your only moving the face onto the otherside of the dish, it keeps the same width. i think when i built mine i should have done them reverse.

4fa1f430.jpg?t=1274697476

Style 5's are the name given to the series of wheels RC040, RC060, RC090. They all contain a various offset, width, ET etc dependant upon the number they are. They all are a 2 piece rim and do however hold the same bolt as the RC041/42 wheels to piece them together. The size of the bolt is an M7 x 30 (with a spline).

Now think about the wheels for a second, the splined mount is inside the face of the dish. If you were going to reverse mount (and place the centre on the dish, then the splined area (both on the bolts and dish) would be ineffective as they have nowhere to 'grip'. With this being the case you will need to increase the size of the bolt with (but still keep the same thread length as you're not altering the length the bolt is required to travel) thus ending up with M8 x 30. You will also need different nuts to secure these.

Danster   

Id be very careful about doing this. I was going to do this with some RC090's but wheels that are designed to be reverse mounted have a lip on the back of them which presses into the barrel to give it strength. If you do this with wheels without this lip on the back of the centre all of the weight is on the bolts which arent strong enought to take the stress.

:ph34r:

Dubizzle   

Id be very careful about doing this. I was going to do this with some RC090's but wheels that are designed to be reverse mounted have a lip on the back of them which presses into the barrel to give it strength. If you do this with wheels without this lip on the back of the centre all of the weight is on the bolts which arent strong enought to take the stress.

:ph34r:

Just what I thought...be careful if you are reverse mounting the face. For use at a show groung this should be fine but for driving on, I would be careful. Speak to the guru Mike the Polisher before you build them up.

Some wheels split differently, the barrel and dish are together and the centre (face) splits from them.

You got 2 piece (rim and barrel in one, face seperate) and 3 piece. Rim, barrel, and face.

You can reverse mount either one

And by reverse mounting a 2-piece you wont change any wheel widths. Only 3 piece, because you'll be moving the face either between the barrel and dish. Or you'll have it on the outside of the dish. Having nothing between the barrel and dish making the whole wheel width thinner

Just what I thought...be careful if you are reverse mounting the face. For use at a show groung this should be fine but for driving on, I would be careful. Speak to the guru Mike the Polisher before you build them up.

Ill third that...

Read this a good few times before.

The basket ideally needs a 'lip' to mount against the barrel otherwise you run the risk of shearing bolts...

giles   

Interesting.

So actually nobody really knows. I have found the the et changes to 51, but no idea on bolts or length, however i do get the idea regarding bolt grip so a slightly longer length required.

Anybody with any idea about the nuts? Surely just use the existing nuts? Why not?

Finally. I want to fit these to a mk2, so I am considering having these wheels re-drilled.

If i plug and go 4x100 then its expensive, but if i was to redrill to 5x100 do i still need to plug? as i see multifits, with multiple holes.

NB this car will never be thrashed.....its toooo Pretty!

Thx.