JakeS

headlight refurb

JakeS   

has any body done this ?

i know you need to sand them down with wet and dry but not sure what grits

any help would be appricated

:wub:

mattb23   

I did some with plastic ones, started at like 240 grit and worked up to 1500 but u can go much further, also a good polishing compound is a good finisher, maybe something like megs scratch x or g3?

j-bonham   

Ideally need a rotary to finish up... Otherwise it will take an age.

Wouldn't start as low as 240 either! 600 / 800 lowest then work up finishing around 2000 / 2500 or higher if you can.

dooka   

Ideally need a rotary to finish up... Otherwise it will take an age.

Wouldn't start as low as 240 either! 600 / 800 lowest then work up finishing around 2000 / 2500 or higher if you can.

Pretty much spot on..

S70W VW   

Meguiars had a £19.99 kit at Edition for doing this, just needed a drill to attach the bits on to, might look at getting a kit and see what happens :)

Just my 2ps worth, even though i know zero about detailing, i just went at it....mrs 6n2 headlights were shagged, gone yellowy and dull i hit them with 2000 and warm soapy water them g3 to finish and they came out crystal clear 4 months in and they still look brand new so i mustve done something right lol only took an hour by hand....im probably very wrong but it worked for me

simon_a   

it all depends, sometimes headlights can be dirty on inside, then ideally you want to split the lens and the back of the light using this method

then on the lenses you want tot start from 400 wet and dry, then go all the way up to 2000, maybe even 2500 then i used 3m polishing compounds on a rotary and finished off with wax :)