Sign in to follow this  
Jaase

Mk3 rear beam doesn't fit my Mk2!

Yeah went to do the swap today, have polybushed it too but when I went to offer it up it seems to be too short widthways! The polybush sits within the clamps like a glove as well. I was lead to believe the beams were all the same?

The rubbish thing is the old beam has been taken away (ongoing project) so can't compare..

Any help would be appreciated!

Quick pic

E711136C-0B87-4E0B-AAFB-270B9EFDF3BD-703

Off a friends Mk3 GTI 8v, had it a while whilst I slowly built it up

Thanks for replying mate, and yeah weird, and annoying :(!

Edited by Jaase

Yeah all the old bush was removed mate, and swapping them round abd getting it to fit is my mission for today! Will come back to let you know how I got on, cheers

Ok so

Flipped both bushes and

D18A71FC-7EBB-40B4-A78E-FC13C1C99359-128

Doh!

Flipped one and

8B997D83-3BB4-4CF1-AF33-518DEBB957A9-128

Result! It all slid in nicely.

Cheers guys had a bit of a brain fart :s

Yeah was thinking that, what a faff!

For now though its fitted while I try and figure out why it is the way it is...

I have a MK3 rear beam in my basement, fitted with powerflex bushes. It was fitted to my car for years.

Both blocks face the inside.

Just double checking your photos and I've noticed the axle carriers are different to the MK3 ones.

MK3 axle carriers are offset, I.e the legs kinda shape towards the centre of the car. The ones in your pictures don't. I'm guessing that's your issue.

By axle carrier you mean the housing for the bush which connects to the car right? It's weird if they're wrong but would make sense, and I don't think it's upside down as the handbrake clip threads are on the top as they should be.. I think.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated!

Edit: from looking at my photos could I have the axle carriers the wrong way round by any chance?!

Edited by Jaase

Axle carriers look fine, my mk3 carriers were the same way round. The nut should be on the side thats got upturned sides like it is, and that side should face outside. And the thicker part of the bushes should be on the inside.

Pretty sure you got the beam up the right way, you'll soon find out when you try bolt the suspension strut in.

How much are you out by with the bushes thicker part in? The carriers have adjustment on them i believe. Not much but enough.

About a centimetre with the adjustment all the way out, so yeah a fair way proud of what it should be!