Sign in to follow this  
j_bailey

MOT Dilemma - Anyone got any standard 5x100 alloys to borrow?

Was wondering where i stand on this one so hopefully you knowledgeable lot can tell me.

My mk4 4motion has failed its MOT today on nearside tyre in contact with the wheel arch but only on full lock. Driver's side is completley fine and is the same setup, so speaking to my local vw mechanic who isnt the mot centre says its most likely that the tracking along with the steering rack adjustment is out and thats why my car pulls slightly to the left.

I will have to get that fixed later-on, the car is booked in for its retest on Monday, so today i have gone out and bought a pair of 12.5mm spacers for the front, i have fitted them and with the car stainonary without being jacked it is now clear and not touching but it is close, however with the car jacked up off the floor, when you put full lock on it is catching still slightly and this is how i think they tested it with the front jacked up on a 4post lift. Now my question is should it pass the MOT with it being fine in how it will operate on the road? And do they have to test it with it jacked up?

The car is quite low on coilovers, would raising them do anything at all? Tyre setup is 225/40/18 and wheel width is 8", Another 5mm would probally clear it but i cant afford another set nor would i be able to get hold of another set before Monday,

If anyone near the Warrington or surronding areas has any standard wheels with legal tyres i could borrow for beer money, you'd be a life saver

You could raise it on the coils or you could just adjust the tracking yourself until you can get it set up properly...

Wind the coilovers right up and it'll stop catching?  Imagine you had standard suspension on it, would it catch then?