Sign in to follow this  
apple-mobile

Mk2 VRT. I slow down for horses. Quest for a billion horsepower.

It's come to the end of an era, my last project, I bought in 2006, its all but a shell in my garage awaiting to be scrapped. Doesn't look like scrap value is going up though :(

Some may remember....

6C43894C-85A3-4A09-B1B6-E7B21A18CFA5-396

video134.jpg

video136.jpg

Time for a new project.....I'm going to post the pictures up in the order I have bought/done things.

This was purchased to go on the seat, before I lost interest... It's a Holset Hx40.
It's been sat there, with a pile of other turbo related parts, a bosh 044, piping, etc.

616CF15C-FBD0-4782-8269-ACA7A2522D62-239

Edited by apple-mobile

Ive been wanting to do something with it, so have recently bought a 2.8 vr6 engine from shaggyjh on here. It's obd 1, milage unknown only picture I have is of it partially stripped...

220D2098-93A9-47B9-AD67-5E82D5EC2444_zps

The bottom end seems solid, but the head is signs its been sat up for a while, as well as being mega coked up.

The guides seem OK, if I was doing a million dollar build I would do them, but they certainly pass my test. I have done a test run on cylinder 5, cleaned the valves up and lightly lapped them in, and holding pressure perfectly. So will do the rest, as well and a set of stem seals.

Debating weather to get it skimmed or not, in my experience, skimmed heads often leak worse than if you just clean them, not sure how that faires on a vr6?

98813009-4681-4A50-9FB0-C07F689B18BB_zps

I've been working on a manifold. I've had a design in my head for a few years I was going to use on the r32. It's a twin scroll log manifold. It's going to be a log, that is blocked off in the middle, where the divided flange will be mounted. I have two 38mm tial wastegates, one for each end.

4DAEA942-E736-4265-9B94-11C24B137F47_zps

Unfortunately that's s far as the engine has come, I have a spacer plate and everything related to drop it down to 8.5:1

My plan was to build the engine up, get everything done, and then find a car to drop it in. I've had a few ideas, I have always wanted to build a Sleeper. Some of my plans included a 6n2 polo, then a mk3 golf estate, and even contemplated making a FWD BMW e36 :lol:

My plan has been firmly on a 5 door mk2 for a while though. I was looking to buy one early next year when I have the room for it, but plans never last, and I accidentally bid £500 on one on eBay. Picked it up last night, I couldn't resist it, the right colour, aesthetics, everything. Came with 12 months MOT, and its on weitec's

0FF54E7D-EF80-4804-A322-E36FE6D682C4_zps

E8DA887E-3B10-47DD-BD0C-F4694A134E89_zps

BC551789-C6CC-4FC2-8AC8-50E4BBED9225_zps

590407D7-4B80-450D-A439-FACFC48FCF74_zps

45E5E2C7-1CE1-46EF-8219-BC0BF6B78477_zps

13B7C6C4-BDE3-4906-86A9-2D58F1B03C02_zps

4A64D954-18C1-4C54-A4F7-0B0BD42A5F40_zps

C44AA159-2363-48D9-8723-2EDF61047180_zps

11F92CA7-359A-46D6-BBFE-E32DEEC4D8AD_zps

I want the car to look as stock as possible, I have an early 4 motion 02m to mate up with it that I'm debating rebuilding with diesel gearing.

That's it up until now, progress should be steady, I have a lot of parts to build up, and lots of work to do.

Scott-o   

That mk2 looks to be a bit of a bargain! Be interesting to see how this goes!

Regarding skimmed heads, we do loads and none have come back having leaked, that's the whole point of skimming them so that they are flat and seal against the block properly. It's worrying how much some of them actually bend to be honest  :lol:

that's the whole point of skimming them so that they are flat and seal against the block properly. :lol:

That's the theory....if the person doing it knows what they are doing :lol:

We only deal with cast iron/steel heads at work, and nothing Ever gets skimmed. But tbf if it needs it..we fit new :lol:

I'm not saying I have vast experience, can probably count the amount of HG's I've done on cars on my hands, but I usually just check with a straight edge then one time I got it skimmed on a whim, it leaked. But I am a cheep skate!

I guess I will get it done, just finding someone I can trust to not male or worse!

Edited by apple-mobile

Scott-o   

:lol: you're right there, we've had some shocking efforts in by others to be done properly. Where abouts are you? If you're North Yorkshire way i can certainly recommend where i help out at on a weekend. It's a competition engine builders so everything is very ocd!

I like your style!

Will be keeping a close eye on this one mate, right up my street.

I said in your thread that what you were building was pretty much identical to my plans :lol:

Might have a few questions to ask you, mainly re: hydraulic clutch.

I still have the full setup from my Leon 1m. I was hoping I could use the brake booster/cylinder and clutch master from that, as well as somehow using those pedals, by adapting the throttle pedal to cable?

Not sure if that would work, I've tried searching the internet and its just full of threads where people being told this has been covered a million times, or dead links on vortex.

What's the easiest set up, bearing in mind I want as much room back there as possible?

patman11   

You can use the Leon clutch setup just fine, it's what I used on my mk2. It's a completely seperate pedal so no need to change your pedal box or anything :) means you don't have to pay silly money for dinasaur aged corrado or Passat parts!

Pic of mine before paint. The Mk4 clutch pedal setup and also the DBW but keeping the mk2 brake pedal/ pedalbox & brake servo

image_zps4b9ee6b9.jpg[/uR

image_zps95883c4a.jpgL]

Edited by patman11

2tonedub   

You can use the leon clutch as above although im not that up on the details of it. If I was doing it I would look at welding in a spreader plate as its quite a bit of force to expect a bit of 1mm sheet metal to take even if there are swages in that area.

Room wise I can't tell how far the leon master cylinder comes through the bulkhead but it doesn't look very far at all. There is also a small version of the rado/passat cylinder that has the fluid outlet on the side an it is tiny, much smaller than the one I have. 

patman11   

There's plenty of room once brake servo is in. I just had to make a pipe fitting to connect it to the brake fluid reservoir. Funny you should mention a spreader plate I've since welded one in! That was more of a mock up really but I ran it like that for a few months.

patman11   

Also for your reference, the mk4 flexi at the end of the hardline (that clips into the above master cylinder) is an M10 thread, so you just need to make up a small copper length of brake line with m10 to m12 if using mk3 slave cylinder etc.

Where abouts in Devon are you? I know a decent place in Exeter that skims heads!

Yeah so do I lol, I'm in North Devon so it's a bit of a pain to get there and then go collect it.

I think I've found somewhere I'm going to give a try, off a decent recommendation.

Its only since seeing the Leon I've realised who you are! we met many moons ago via Eu-Mania.

VRT 4 door mk2 will be the perfect sleeper. Should really upset most fast cars. 

Bendohhh   

Oh God, EU-Mania, blast from the past or what! I too have only just realised that car was yours.

Liking the plans for the golf so I'll watch this patiently.

Its only since seeing the Leon I've realised who you are! we met many moons ago via Eu-Mania.

VRT 4 door mk2 will be the perfect sleeper. Should really upset most fast cars.

Jesus, that feels like a million years ago :lol:

Oh God, EU-Mania, blast from the past or what! I too have only just realised that car was yours.

Liking the plans for the golf so I'll watch this patiently.

What ever happened to Eu-mania? I remember it closing or something, I seem to remember an 'invite only' forum was started or something afterwards, but it never took off.

Want to sell them?

Not currently sorry.