RICKY D   

I've been a member on here for nearly 10 years and I've never put a readers ride thread up.....until today!

I bought my first VW about 14 years ago and since then I've had quite a few mk2 and mk3 Golfs, all GTI's or VR6's. I then had my first child about 6 years back and moved on to Audi's estates (as you do :lol: ) and had a number of B5 A4's and C5 A6's, never keeping a car longer than a year.

Then, about 2 years ago I bought my first A8. It was the baby of the range, a 2.8 Quattro which came fully loaded and was mint.

IMG_5994_zpsw4ow8lox.jpg

I soon found my self getting bored of the power, and when a nice S8 popped up for peanuts I went and grabbed it.

SIde by side with the A8 when I first got it.

IMG_6252_zps87ghickv.jpg

One of the final pictures before it was written off by a white van just after Christmas this year  :(

MT02%20AVY_zpsgckc1kbn.jpg

After the insurers paid out, i bought another A4 estate. This lasted about 2 weeks before I was pining for another S8. I spotted one online, fired off a few emails to the seller, arranged a viewing and we struck a deal.

IMG_6500_zpslevk01q9.png

It's a very dark green called Irish Green Pearl which looks pretty good in the sun. I wasn't too keen on it at first but I've grown to really love it.

Pic while waiting for my wife to finish work

IMG_6527_zpswyrfbk0i.jpg

RICKY D   

My first purchase. A set of Bosch Aero Twin wipers.

IMG_6624_zpskon4jtlk.jpg

IMG_6626_zpsjawom9kb.jpg

I also bought a set of new plates. The crap behind each plate front and rear took over an hour to clear and prepare the surface properly!

IMG_6618_zpskgsjjpu6.jpg

Finished rear.

IMG_6620_zpsi9atl4ix.jpg

And the front.

IMG_6616_zpso7x412lo.jpg

IMG_6613_zpsqq5cp6js.jpg

More updates to come in the next few weeks....

hagus   

Lovely, plate looks great too ;-)

RICKY D   

Had a nice big package waiting for me when I .arrived home this evening!

IMG_6629_zpswqhfveuf.jpg

IMG_6633_zpsodpo6ane.jpg

4721cd41-a512-44f2-8d6c-24fc59a0c8c1_zps

The fronts never look this big on the car....weigh a tonne!

Looking forward to getting these on. The rear pads are low and the discs look a bit a little sorry for themselves.

Edited by RICKY D

RICKY D   

Jobs for this weekend; change the manky offside wing mirror glass and fit a new stereo!

When I bought the car I noticed it had the very cloudy drivers side wing mirror like my previous A8 which is normally a sign these are fitted with the very expensive auto dimming mirrors. The black ring around the edges confirms these are in deed auto dimming ones.

IMG_6652_zpsjg6fofhn.jpg

I phoned Audi and they wanted nearly £300 for one mirror!!! :blink:  I don't think it's that nice of a feature to be honest, so I ordered up a set of standard blue heated convex mirrors online.

Shiny!

IMG_6642_zps2chuczxl.jpg

Got the old mirror out and gave the inside a good clean.

IMG_6654_zpsjxnp0psx.jpg

New mirror in....much better!

IMG_6659_zpse0pqfji6.jpg

and the other side to match

IMG_6670_zpsnyxvmvhp.jpg

RICKY D   

Bought this recently so decided to get this put in this weekend.

IMG_6637_zpse1dypqls.jpg

Very easy to use if you're familiar with an iphone. Sounds ok but I'm tempted to get rid of the Bose set up and add a 4 channel with a nice component set up front and back to really bring it alive.....and maybe a 15" sub or two later in the year ;)  

IMG_6666_zpsujirajzl.jpg

Edited by RICKY D

RICKY D   

This evenings job.......

Chrome dial rings.

IMG_6643_zpsvo4ugc9e.jpg

IMG_6644_zpsirlc3auq.jpg

Before

IMG_6678_zpsqwjyxznb.jpg

IMG_6681_zpsefjgb7ju.jpg

Fitted

IMG_6682_zps6bwce6ma.jpg

IMG_6684_zpsos15qujn.jpg

A small improvement....but a nice touch that i really like!

patman11   

Great touch, I have these in my corrado clocks- make them look much nicer and less 'plasticy'! Whats the power like in these?

RICKY D   

I'm kind of used to the power so I don't find it super quick like when I first got it and it's not that nimble, however it's on the motorway its really at home and they pull to 140+ really easily....or so I've heard!

C7 JFW   

A certain part of me has a great hankering for something as comfortable and as brisk as this. It's definitely a motorway stormer in all conditions. Just a cracking bit of kit.

Be interesting to see where you go with this.

masen   

Really like this car, looking forward to some more progress.

RICKY D   

Small update:

Took her in for a service. Had the oil and filter changed, brake fluid changed, and my new discs and pads fitted plus a number of small bits that they picked up on.

IMG_6722_zps6k7lzdzc.jpg

IMG_6723_zpsl9uftbjn.jpg

Nick who runs the garage at Young's noticed a few of the control arms were starting to look past their best although not critical yet, me being me though I ordered up a Meyle HD kit from Germany. Very good quality and I'm looking forward to getting these on to sharpen up the front end as well!

IMG_6713_zpsgzogzrgb.jpg

IMG_6714_zpsqgmnkqco.jpg

IMG_6716_zpsbikxxfow.jpg

Tonight I also changed my fuel cap and cleaned up the grime that seemed to be accumulating in the area. Every A8/S8 I've owned seems to have a broken strap that connects the cap to the body?

IMG_6730_zpsxhuoimfj.jpg

IMG_6732_zpsin1j48qb.jpg

IMG_6734_zpsdjajpjav.jpg

Some of you might be wondering why I'm bothering to document all these small jobs, but the idea is to get get the car mechanically sound before before i start on the any real big jobs/modifications  ;)

Elek   

Got a seiorus hankering for one of these at moment, But the cost's of maintaning them scare me lol

RICKY D   

Find a good independent and the upkeep is very reasonable....the recent service was only £200.

The key is finding a good one that doesn't need £4k pumped in to it to get it running right. The weak spot on these are the gearboxes. Regular fluid changes will prolong the life of it, but if it goes wrong you're looking at £3.5k for a rebuild. A cam belt change done properly including rollers, thermostat, water pump etc will be around £1k.

Good ones are fetching top money in the enthusiast circles!

RICKY D   

update:

Had the windscreen crack repaired today - was only small but was bugging me and is another job ticked off my list.

Decided to give the engine bay a good clean out of leaves over the weekend as there seemed to be a dead forest in there! Took all the panels off, and cleaned out all of the drainage areas and crevices and got the Dyson in there :D .

Gave it a wash down afterwards and looked a million times better. I Didn't get any during pictures but you can see the state of it before.

46_zps4srgdjsa.jpg

47_zpsi83r8ady.jpg

48_zps7xpsbpro.jpg

49_zpsyyuh4rl9.jpg

50_zpsxrw8fyrj.jpg

During the service my mechanic spotted that one of the plastic intake control arms was broken. As you'd expect you cant buy them separately but Audi do a "repair kit" which includes them but they want nearly £250 :huh:.

51_zpslqootkxm.jpg

I Manged to get an aftermarket set from Poland made of metal so these should last forever :D .

53_zpsmmvlhlfr.jpg

New ones fitted.

54_zpsmjj2xrud.jpg

State of the old broken one top and the bottom one doesn't look too healthy either!

52_zps8etjhdb0.jpg

I wasn't expecting much from this fix, but low end throttle response and torque seems greatly improved....so much more drivable at lower RPM's now.

Also decided to order up a Porsche oil cap and have this fitted. Looks nice  :)

220d1f5d-d318-4e46-a86e-26c783a0396b_zps

56_zpsy3u729v9.jpg

RICKY D   

Today's job; fit nicer pedals!

The drivers footwell was looking a little tired so I decided to fit some nice pedal and clean up the surrounding area.

57_zpspnjxovgj.jpg

The accelerator pedal is from an Audi TT and the brake pedal is from Volkswagen Phaeton.

Before

58_zpsjd2xt5mu.jpg

During

59_zpsdsvhaeag.jpg

The accelerator pedal went straight on but the brake pedal required a little modifying. There was a little bit of protruding rubber that I had to cut off with a Stanley knife but there was still a little movement which I cured by applying some epoxy resin and some pressure clamps for an hour.

After

60_zpsrylrdn7w.jpg

Much better!

I also managed to fix the drivers side skirt which fell off a few weeks back, hid the stereo to phone cable through the transmission tunnel to the armrest and cleaned the carpets.... Nearly time for some proper mods! :lol:

RICKY D   

After 72 days I finally got my S8 back today :) It's beenThanks a very expensive month!

Back in August I was driving back home after a day out to Whitstable with the family when I lost power steering, the battery light came on followed by a loud metal on metal grinding sound.. The crank shaft pulley had fallen off and taken the belt with it...hence the lack of power steering and the battery symbol appearing. The 8 bolts that hold the pulley on had sheared off and luckily had not damaged anything else other than a bit of plastic cover. The crank was spinning against the pulley which explained the metallic sound.

IMG_6852_zps97dqbwoa.jpg

I called the AA and got the car recovered home. The kids thought it was exciting!

IMG_6856%202_zpsb0e2ppq7.jpg

IMG_6857%202_zpsdndiv2oo.jpg

I spoke to my mate the following morning who said he'll pick up with his truck and fix it. After investigating it he said i might as well get all the timing belt and all new tensioners replaced whilst it's stripped down. Sounded like a good idea because i was planning to get it done next year anyway. It then sat in his yard for 6 weeks because he was so busy at work and couldn't fit the car in. I then decided to have it transported back to Nick at Youngs garage in Wrotham as I know he's very good at what he does. He had the car turned around in about 10 days which was amazing considering the other jobs he had on. I then asked him to replace all the suspension arms from my Meyle HD kit which he agreed to do.

Whilst removing the pinch bolt from the nearside upright, a part of it snapped clean off! He said a replacement from Audi was £420 including VAT and suggested looking at a second hand part......there were none anywhere! In the end he decided to have it welded up. Here are some pictures of the fix. I'm no expert but it looks very good to me.

IMG_7158_zpsvtmg6rsd.jpg

IMG_7159_zps8fw81mls.jpg

IMG_7160_zpsbeimkpjv.jpg

IMG_7161_zps1qo1p6hc.jpg

IMG_7162_zpszq3tyh2x.jpg

IMG_7163_zps9abjm1t0.jpg

IMG_7164_zpsx4rhe9h1.jpg

IMG_7165_zpsj0oqqltx.jpg

Pile of the old parts

IMG_7156_zpsrm4ex0px.jpg

My Hazard relay also started playing up whilst waiting to be recovered.....just what you want when you're on the hard shoulder at night! The A8 forum sponsors had one in stock which was with me in 1 day of ordering +++

IMG_6864_zpskhrsv2dl.jpg

With all the extra outlay this month I have to put off getting tyres for my 20" alloys :(

Edited by RICKY D