Sign in to follow this  
danosborne661

Bike carbs - Outer 2 running rich?

Hey all, few details on what I've got to start with

- 2.0 16v ABF
- Kawazaki ZX9R carbs (Keihin CVRs)
- Was running 180 jets - way too rich no matter how I adjusted the pilot screw (spark plugs were sooty)

Now I'm running 170 jets with the pilot jet adjusted to 3 turns out to lean it off, the inner 2x spark plugs are now a decent bronze colour, the outer 2 are still looking very black!

What should I do? Would it make sense to go to a 165 jet on the outer 2x carbs? Would it be a strange adjustment to lean off the pilot jets on JUST the outer 2 carbs?

Cheers all :)

Edited by danosborne661

adam-   

Get a wideband and log fuel at all RPMs. There shouldn't be that much of a different between individuals; but usually two run richer than the other two. Can't remember if it's inner or outer though.

Chaz!   

When I had my R6 carbs and I went to change the jets I found that the inner two were larger than the outers from the factory, so I stuck with that when I increased the size and they ran fine, they were Keihin too iirc

Edit: Also what engine? Mine was a 1.4 AFH

Edited by Chaz!

Hey guys,

Thanks for your help and good to know Chaz.

I'll get some 165 jets so I'll running 170 on the inside and 165 on the outside!

It's a 2.0 16v ABF

Keeha   

I'd try making the existing ones a bit leaner first, it's what the screw is there for.

And yeah they nearly always have odd sized jets from the factory :)

Edited by Keeha

Hey Keeha,

I tried leaning it out a lot on the pilot jet and still running very rich! The pilot adjustment is only for idle to quarter throttle anyway so doesn't lean it through-out the entire stroke like a needle/main jet adjustment does.

I'll fit the 165's on the outer after Glastonbury and I recon that'll be good to go! Cheers for the advise all

Currently running 170 jets in the centre and 165 on the outside, still running rich!

Changing to 165 on the inside and 160's on the outside over the weekend so heading in the right direction.