Sign in to follow this  
Chunkyjh

8" sub recommendations

Looking to fit an 8" sub in a custom box in my Tiguan. Box can be up to 10 litres. Anyone used/fitted an 8" before? Most likely Looking at an Alpine swr 84d or a Hertz ES

There are so many on the market it's a bit overwhelming. Don't have the amp yet so doesn't matter about ohms

A digital designs or earthquake are quite decent for their size.

But I guess alpine,rockford fosgate,mtx is good too.

Just go for a well known brand and you actually cant go wrong.

I must say I got myself a digital designs 12 inch and it eats the double amount of power, I know earthquakes do it too.

What kind of power are you looking for ?

whats your budget? i have an 8'' gladen audio sub available, pm if interested

Thanks for the replies. I've now purchased my amp which will dictate my sub choice. My amp is a Hertz HE1D 900w max

200w @ 4ohms

320w @ 2ohms

450w @ 1ohm

Budget £100-200

Not sure if this helps but i have this 10" Rockford Fosgate woofer and its pretty good, sounds awesome. 

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p2d2-10 

I'd take a good guess that the 8" version is good as well. 

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/p2d2-8 

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/rockford-fosgate-p2d2-8 

Hope this helps mate. 

Edit: Links aren't working for me for some reason but just google Rockford Fosgate P2D2-8 

Edited by AdamJonezy

Buy that Gladen one above being offered...great subs.

Best would be to buy a sub that is dvc 2x2ohm so you can play at 1ohm to get the most out your amp.

The main problem you'll have here will be getting a flat signal out of the factory system.  If you are planning on just using a hi/low converter, your sub will be getting fed a heavily eq'd signal, designed to maximise the output of the crappy factory speakers.  There will be all sorts of frequencies missing from it and it may even be a dynamic eq, which means as you turn the system up, bass frequencies are continually eq'd (i.e reduced) to protect the factory speakers, leaving your new sub having nothing to play and sounding thin no matter what you do.  It's very annoying.

It can be solved with a number of signal processor options, depending on the nature of your install and budget.

If you are using an aftermarket head unit then obviously ignore the above as you'll be fine if you take a full range pre-out or a sub out.