c3peteo

tinting rear lights

hi, I've just sprayed some ebay tinting spray on my rear light. is it worth spraying some clear coat on them now and if I do should I polish the lights first as the tint spray has gone on Matt.

Having done dozens of sets of lights, I'd advise you to give them several coats of clear lacquer to finish the job.  Do not polish them before you lacquer them but do give them a light rub with some 1500 grade wet or dry paper to get rid of any imperfections and to key them for the lacquer.  Apply the lacquer in light coats and allow it to dry between each coat.  After several coats, have a look and see what you think.  If there are any runs or nibs, flat them out with 1500 wet paper and then machine polish them to restore the shine.  f you are happy with the finish after applying the lacquer, miss out the final stage.

Edited by iceworx

thanks. so I should only polish them if i need to remove any imperfections in the lacquer?

If you are happy with the finish from the can or gun, leave them.  If there are any imperfections, flat them out and then polish them to bring back the shine.

Edited by iceworx