Sign in to follow this  
harryvr6

Under sealing a mk2 golf gti

harryvr6   

Hi, I've recently had some work done to the underside of my mk2, to satisfy the ministry of transport and to hopefully allow me to continue to enjoy the car for a bit longer.

ive been using  rustbuster 121 epoxy mastic but I've seen a thread (see below) and I've now got my doubts that I've been doing it right, / about the product!

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/bestestest-underbody-protection.39590/

What would be the best course of action please to protect the chassis from the elements the easiest way without entering into a full ground up restoration!.?

Any help would be most welcome! 

Cheers harryvr6

Courts   

Bilt Hamber products are very good against rust.

If you're working with bare metal you can use Electrox zinc primer then coat it with stonechip (the kind you can paint over) and then body-coloured rattle cans.

Easy to get in too deep but it's a worthwhile job.

harryvr6   

hi mate, great thank you,

what could i use to paint over the actual rust? or is the electrox primer  ok for doing this with?

keep hearing good stuff about gravitex which i believe can be painted over too?

i may steer clear of the epoxy mastic as it stinks like mad and maybe isn't as ideal as the manufacturer claims when applied directly to the rust? so ill look at the bit hamber stuff then.

many thanks, harryvr6

Greigzy   

If is was me, I would get some kind or rust converter on it (the type that makes it go from rusty to a black colour) apply it, sand it back and apply again if there is further rust. Then zinc primer and then use stonechip followed by Shutz underseal - you can buy this with a shutz gun for an air compressor with 3 tubes of the stuff. I would imagine that would be more than enough to do the car. That  should help protect/repair/hide the rust.

Hope that helps.

harryvr6   

great thanks mate, 

the welders were moaning a bit about the amount of cavity wax in the car which almost caught fire! so at least i know theres some protection in her somewhere ha ha !!

just a bit worried and disappointed i suppose with the 121 epoxy mastic, seems it has failed on my car?

Cheers, harryvr6