Sign in to follow this  
harryvr6

mk2 golf big bumper 'textured' part query

hi all, 

over the years the rear bumper on my 91 gti has become very smooth and isn't 'textured' any more, subsequently any trim product finds it hard to adhere to the bumper and I'm left with a horrible flat and grey bumper top! 

I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to 'scuff up' the textured part so that i can apply some much needed blackness to it again?

i don't really want to buy a pattern bumper so if i could fix mine that would be great

many thanks, 

Harryvr6

20 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

Have you tried gently heating the bumper?

hi mate, no i haven't tried the heat trick as yet, I've tried virtually everything else though may be worth a go then?

its quite shiny on the top now, I've tried c4 technique recently and it didn't work, (used alcohol wipes beforehand too), the megs bumper and trim stuff, peanut butter, shoe shine too!

it seems to be the original bumper too just wish it wasn't smooth!

thanks, harryvr6

I bought some textured spray paint which looked really good but if you pressed against the bumper you'd crush the texture surface. They are tons of textured spray paints on ebay you could try, there may be a decent one out there.

May go and ask a bodyshop.

thanks,

thats a good shout, there must be a solution out there!

A paint shop doing the textured effect is an option.  Try the cheap and cheerful heat gun first. Fair enough you won't have the textured effect but you will have some colour and keep the original bumper.

59 minutes ago, harryvr6 said:

thanks,

thats a good shout, there must be a solution out there!

I had heard if the textured spray stuff from when I had my Edition 1 about 6 years ago, as I wanted to have a corner fixed on my front bumper, so I would imagine more people know about it now!

From what I recall, the peanut butter, warm linseed oil, heat tricks work to restore the colour, not the texture.

Thank you gurdeep, I shall look into the textured products a little more then. 

Ive had another closer look at the rear bumper this afternoon. I tried to apply a small amount of Meg's trim stuff and I could see it just wasn't having any effect at all. 

The bumper top just felt really smooth like glass, It was as if there was a clear coating on it, and the product just wiped off.

I probably shouldn't have done this but I thought it couldn't look any worse, it's not going to win at the show n shine anyway, so I very gently rubbed the surface with some wet and dry to try and create a ' key' for a future application of a trim dressing. 

I think it worked, it got rid of the glass like appearance and although not brilliant looks better now. I'll get some pics up in work tomorrow morning hopefully. With a bit of care I think it could look ok, it's certainly better than just leaving it I think. 

Thanks harryvr6

Edited by harryvr6
Spelling

hi, here are a few pics hopefully of how the bumper was: shiny and slippy to the touch, and any product just seemed to wipe off when applied.

37148547686_4d9da1efcf_k.jpgshiny by skywaytuff2 aka 'HarryVR6', on Flickr

37148547646_5207e993b5_k.jpgbefore 2 by skywaytuff2 aka 'HarryVR6', on Flickr

37148547576_271a2c20c0_k.jpgbefore 1 by skywaytuff2 aka 'HarryVR6', on Flickr

37148547716_cf5f4397c3_k.jpgrubbed down by skywaytuff2 aka 'HarryVR6', on Flickr

rubbed a section of it down now, its not going to pebble beach in the near future so I'm not too worried! going to give it another go after and then try the c4 stuff again i think.

i was chatting to  the owner of a lovely mk2 at the footman james car show at weekend and he recommended the wurth bumper stuff:

also i think the peugeot boys use something called 'plasticare' which is supposed to be really good too, (solution finish too?)

ill give it a go anyway,

thanks, harryvr6.

I had a quick look at what the Peugeot boys were using and some are raving about Autobright Restore 2 Black Permanent Dye - so I ordered some up to give it a try. It seems the dyes are better and longer lasting than the dressings.

33 minutes ago, dragonfly said:

I had a quick look at what the Peugeot boys were using and some are raving about Autobright Restore 2 Black Permanent Dye - so I ordered some up to give it a try. It seems the dyes are better and longer lasting than the dressings.

excellent! sounds good, very interested to see what you think about that stuff, I'm tempted by the dyes yes, the wurth stuff apparently doesn't like a smooth surface so thats why i tried to rough up the bumper first, i suppose it will only help no matter what i use in that respect? 

nice one mate,

harryvr6 

I have just retextured all my bumpers and  arches on the mk2 I am rebuilding.

The best advice I can give is to sand back the texture areas to be completely smooth and then apply it.

My bumpers were smoothed back by the bodyshop, but the arches were smoothed down like the below:

36818480496_734a9c587d_k.jpg

And the finished look was like this:

36835503122_ab470358aa_k.jpg

36866204221_629b3f9886_k.jpg

That was about 3 coats on the texture finish stuff.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Greigzy said:

I have just retextured all my bumpers and  arches on the mk2 I am rebuilding.

The best advice I can give is to sand back the texture areas to be completely smooth and then apply it.

My bumpers were smoothed back by the bodyshop, but the arches were smoothed down like the below:

36818480496_734a9c587d_k.jpg

And the finished look was like this:

36835503122_ab470358aa_k.jpg

36866204221_629b3f9886_k.jpg

That was about 3 coats on the texture finish stuff.

Brilliant many thanks mate, unfortunately I can't seem to be able to view the photos, but great advice on the sanding down of the textured areas. I was hoping that maybe 3m did a textured paint but I couldn't find much last night, do you know what the product was that was used on your car please? 

Ooops! The pictures have just appeared! 

That looks really good on your car!! Thanks again! 

Many thanks, harryvr6

Edited by harryvr6
Forgot some info

I used HB Body Texture Black Bumper Spray from ebay.

I bought the 4 can pack for £32 and managed to do the arches and rear bumper with that. Still need to get another tin for the front bumper.

They have quick despatch and arrived within 2 days.

22 minutes ago, Greigzy said:

I used HB Body Texture Black Bumper Spray from ebay.

I bought the 4 can pack for £32 and managed to do the arches and rear bumper with that. Still need to get another tin for the front bumper.

They have quick despatch and arrived within 2 days.

Out of interest.. how have they held up against weather conditions etc, and how long ago did you do them?

17 minutes ago, gurdeep_singh said:

Out of interest.. how have they held up against weather conditions etc, and how long ago did you do them?

No clue as of yet - I am still a while away from being finished with the car.

They were done about a month ago. Have rubbed up against the bumper a couple of time (oooer:P) when going around the car, and it doesn't seem to damage it.

I did test some of the paint on an already textured arch, and it really didn't like that. It seemed to peel quite quickly. But on a smooth, well keyed surface, the paint seems to stick to the panel like poo