• Please log in to reply
153 replies to this topic

#1 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:01 PM

i spend quite a bit of time looking at other peoples cars but never bother me ass to put mine up here. but im off work ill at the min so i have the pleasure of boredom to push me on....

Car was originally an 8v but that got sidelined for a 9a 2l 16v. i wanted a 20vt but funds wouldnt allow at the time so the 9a had to do. to be honest i was never happy with the valver lump, it was rev happy and sounded mint but was coupled to a sh it mk3 8v box which had a 3rd gear far too long for the engine and just let the whole thing down. final straw was when me mate thrashed me in his mk2 6a powered car. that was it, i was sick and decided if i didnt do something now id probably just waste time trying a different box to find an extra 2mph....

that was all at the start of last year and over the last year not much has happened due to work commiments and havin a 2 yr old but its starting to pick up again now as my job has improved with more money for less time so more time for the motor.
Right, heres the bay after the 9a was taken out...

Posted Image

and with a clean up...

Posted Image

Posted Image

the only bit of rot was on the drivers side chassis leg where the airbox had been sat for years as you can see above.
had that cut out and plated then set about getting rid of all the brackets etc that i wouldnt need in the bay...

Posted Image

at the time i just roughly sprayed the areas with zinc primer as i knew itd probably be a while til i actually got back to it. Also bashed and cut the bulkhead for the clutch MC.

I got a corrado pedal box and had to modify that to fit in place of the mk2 item. The top bracket was 10mm off compared to the mk2 pedal box so i invested in a mig welder (ebay ?50 clarke pro 90) which has made its money back and much more since!! I chopped the top bracket off and welded it back on in the right place. easy as that. Also has to make a bracket for the DBW accelerator pedal id be fitting so that got made when the pedal box was out. Was all a bit trial and error and the pedal box was in and out about 10 times, but now its perfect and sits just right...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by MUSH, 26 December 2009 - 04:42 PM.

#2 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:30 PM

Under the car in the passenger footwells is some drain holes and mine had become a little rotten so i cut them out and plated them over aswell. no pics but you get what i mean...

Posted Image

Whilst i was under the car i noticed some of the underseal was looking a bit worse for wear so pretty much a solid month was spent after work stripping and wire wheeling most of the bottom of the car. then a good layer of zinc primer here and there before 3 layers of thick homemade sealant. Now the underside is nice and shiny gloss black with loads of protection. pics to follow on that. All ive gota do is refit the heat shields now (the tunnel shield ill have to weld studs on the undersie to hold it again as they were a bit rotten)

Anyway, back to the bay....

After many hours spent rubbing down/ filling rubbing down/filling it was starting to take shape...

Posted Image

Posted Image

I cant stand bodywork and have to say apart from the last little bit where it comes together i hated doin all that!!! Id probs do it again in half the time as i learnt about not using too much filler, what to sand with, how to get good results etc...

Then it was ready for chris to come, inspect and then paint it for me!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bay was primered with a good few coats before final rub down thne painted in original T red

Posted Image

Posted Image

Im probs most happy with the battery chassis leg as i had to drill out the spot welds holding the battery holer on then plate them over. Then i had to plate on top of that to raise the level up before filler to achieve the look as if the battery was never meant to go there...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Drivers leg cam up good aswell tho, as did the bulkhead...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

BIG THANKS TO CHRIS FOR THE PAINTING, IT WAS EITHER THAT OR ME WITH RATTLE CANS LOL

Battery will be in the boot and the wiring looms will run along the top of the bay but then will got through the chassis legs up to the front of the car. Wasnt too fussed about the looms showing but then seen a car with this done and liked the idea better than having to extend them all and run it in the car then through the legs. ive now ran the looms and only had to extend the battery pos and neg from where they jump off where the battery used to sit. im gona be running a seperate fusebox at the front where these will be able to attach to but more on that later...

Edited by MUSH, 03 April 2009 - 01:52 PM.

#3 Blue_

Blue_

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 7,704 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:33 PM

Ill be keeping an eye on this thread. Nice work

#4 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 12:53 PM

Next, the engine.

I got a hold of an AEB lump for pennies that i was gona use but then decided it wasnt worth the hassle so i sold that on for good profit and got back on the lookout. This came up on ebay in dec 07 so i thought itd be worth a look...

Posted Image

OUCH

Posted Image

but iwasnt bothered, all i wanted it for was its heart....

Posted Image

Car was a leon cupra 1.8t 180bhp model with 60k miles and FSH, mostly with the PHIRM. Ive got all the history and no expense was spared. Car was totalled and CAT C written off. I got it for £1450 which was what most people wanted for their engines so i though it was a steal.

So me and me mate spence drove down to essex (from newcastle lol) in me mates transit pickup and picked the car up. It was a bit of a road trip and a half but was quite a laugh.

The car was mint apart from the damage but couldnt be driven due to a nacked outer CV that just let the diff spin up with no drive.

Didnt take long before me nd billy had it in bits...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The weird techniques you utilise in takin a lump out of a car on uneven ground!!! it was billys idea lol....

All for this...

Posted Image

I took the engine and its wiring looms and then sold everything else!! and i mean everything! Made some good money on the 312mm brakes, cupra interior, 6 speed 02M box, body panels, air con climate control system, THE LOT! I made £40 off the CAT at a scrap yard!! Everything went and i was left with a shell after 2 months which got weighted in and the money for that went to me pal who let me store it on his land for a bit.

Turns out i did well from all the sales and made £1900!!! enough to pay for the car, the diesel used and a bit left over for....hmmmm what could i buy?

full k04 turbo kit from a TT with 12k miles Thanks paul at strictly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So up until this point i had spent nowt but my time on this which i thought was pretty good going. The profits i made from selling the AEB lump and some other bits and bobs (MY GARAGE IS A VORTEX!!) paid for the QPENG downpipe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

which is now wrapped but ill get pics up soon.

I ditched all the vacuum reservoir/N249/secondary air injection so all this was gone

Posted Image

Edited by MUSH, 03 April 2009 - 02:29 PM.

#5 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:37 PM

Sorry bout the pic orientation, dont know how to spin them... :blush:

and because of the change in manifold i had to unpick the wiring loom and pull the relevant cores back over and then re wrap it... which wasnt too bad..

Posted Image

Next was a cambelt kit and a metal impeller water pump fitted which again was a doddle.

Posted Image

I was about to pay stupid money for a blanking plate for the secondary injection hole in the head when i thought it cant be that hard. Bit of alloy plate a few mm thick and careful re use of the gasket and id done it myself for about 50p!!

Posted Image

im chuffed i got a hold of the TT boost pipe also as you see loads of 20v conversions with naff pipe running down the passenger side of the bay. I personally think it looks poo and if theres an oem option which is 100% better then id go for that. Engine built back up and on the stand awaiting fitment...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Got mesel an intercooler too...

Posted Image

Its an ebay uni special but ive heard good thing about them so thought why not!!

For the wiring im running oem management with a modded loom and decoded ECU. Im gona be putting mk3 clocks in which will be happening very soon so more info to come.

Ive just put the cable in for the battery so thats ready.

whilst i was pulling the interior out i decided i wanted a change. I had my mk2 gti seats rebolstered and leather covered a few years ago but sold them on to buy these...

Posted Image

Theyre the early ones but i reckon will go well in my motor. theyre also immaculate, theyd have to be otherwise i wouldnt buy them.

Anyway back to the mechanicals...

For gearboxes...

At first i got an 02a AYK passat GT box off a friend but decided thatd be too short gearing so i got a CDA mk3 box which ive still got as a backup in the garage (somewhere). but first prize goes to a rebuilt ibiza cupra box with QUAIFFE lsd fitted. Im still thinking it might be a bit too short but ill just get a longer 5th for motorways. sure ill find out when on the road. The diff will help either way so is a bonus.

I fitted the mk4 shifter following the guide on mk2vr6 which is quite good and relatively easy.

So the bay is sprayed, all the grommets back in with the alarm sounder resited. Got the engine bay looms back in with the chassis leg portions hidden in the legs themselves. Im gona be making a new heat shield for the rear of the bay to go where the old ones went but mine will be a bit thicker and bigger as i remember the heat soak with the 16v 4 branch was terrible so i dont want the same with possibly even higher temps. The engine is ready and will be bolted to the box with a VR clutch and lightened flywheel as soon as im well and able to do so.

Posted Image

Got a new brake servo and clutch MC and then painted them all black so they will look good as my old brake servo etc was rusty as!!

Posted Image

New expansion bottle and brake fluid reservoir to follow...

Next task was to offer up the intercooler...

Posted Image

with the slam panel on the floor, it was obvious what i needed to take out. The upright section that bolts onto the front crossmember at the bottom is L shaped metal for strength. I removed all of this L shape so the intercooler would sit right forward tucked up under the slam panel.

I then transferd it to the car to offer up where i hav to make brackets for. was a doddle to be fair.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I then offered up the VR rad im using. The passenger mounting on the front crossmember is the same which is good. All i have to do is weld on a bracket for the drivers side bottom pin to sit in which will be easy also. All that will happen is the rad wont be sitting at quite the angle they nornally do. The good thing about this rad is the water pipes off the 20v lump all mate up perfectly so no bodging there!!

I bought a uni ic 2.5" pipe kit off the bay which is good. i mocked these up but need to buy me silicone joiners before i can do it properly. need the engine in also.

Next dilemma is where to fit the fusebox ill be mounting up the front?

Posted Image

or

Posted Image

im thinking the 2nd pic. Think it will look/work good there. dont want to hide it and want it accessible.

Comments welcome. updates should start to flow now ive got more time on my hands.

Well probs not for a week as ive been shot down with mumps, even tho ive been vaccinated, and had it before. explain that....

anyhoo....

Edited by MUSH, 03 April 2009 - 01:47 PM.

#6 phillyt

phillyt

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 9,880 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:52 PM

looking good fella nice to see plenty of thought going into a homebrew swap.

#7 DuBmIKe

DuBmIKe

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 13,082 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:53 PM

This rocks all ready B)

#8 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 02:05 PM

cheers for the comments, to be fair that whole progress has taken the best part of a year due to the mentioned work/family commitments but now ive got a lot more time on my hands with my job changing. plus the added desperation of wanting to drive it this summer with the good weather starting to creep in...

Edited by MUSH, 04 May 2009 - 10:10 PM.

#9 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 03:05 PM

thought id add some pics of years gone by....

this was the old 8v engine bay....

Posted Image

which i stripped and rebuilt to this...

Posted Image

but a dodgy earth killed the ecu and flooded the engine with petrol which thinned the oil and ruined the big ends... :angry:

which led the way for the 9a...

Posted Image

Posted Image

and heres a few external for yous...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

got german plates now tho of course...

built the wheels myself, easy job!! got better tyres now aswell lol

Posted Image

updates to follow....

fit engine and plumb it all in
porsche scripted handles
bonrath single wiper
skinnier tyres
mk3 clocks
battery in boot
HID lights

to name a few...

#10 dubbuds

dubbuds

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 287 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:02 PM

Thats exactly the same intercooler as mine ^_^

I fitted mine slightly different thou ;)

Looks good!!

Edited by dubbuds, 03 April 2009 - 05:16 PM.

#11 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:10 PM

Thats exactly the same intercooler as mine ^_^

I fitted mine slightly different thou ;)

how then?

im happy with the way ive done it but someone else`s point of view is never a bad thing...

#12 35i-VR6

35i-VR6

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 275 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

Hey Nick you forgot to mention ur early 16v

Posted Image

What a lush colour m8

Edited by oak16v, 03 April 2009 - 09:17 PM.

#13 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 09:46 PM

didnt want to bring a tear to my eye mate... :( lol

didnt mention any of my other motors either, just want this thread to concentrate on the current car.

...now that ive bothered my ar se to make one :ph34r:

Edited by MUSH, 05 April 2009 - 08:09 PM.

#14 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 03:33 PM

...bit of an update, not masses tho as im still ill (weak) lol

ordered a load of silicone hoses for the intercooler piping and also got some black conduit to cover all the exposed wiring looms in the bay. They were all wrapped up anyway but think they look better in this stuff. they go nicely into the chassis leg aswell...

Posted Image

the heatshield ill be making will cover the rear of the bay up to the wiring looms so youll not even see most of this when its in. i just wanted to neaten up the drops down into the chassis leg.

Posted Image

The inside of the chassis legs are all prepped and covered in my underseal mix to match the bottom of the car. they do look a bit rough but its all about keeping the stone chips away and if it does get damaged its an easy fix. function over form...

also got my brake servo/MC and clutch MC fitted and the brake lines reconnected. might chuck a bit of paint on the lines to neaten them up. Just need to get a reservoir now as the one i have is minging and there quite cheap.

Posted Image

Then as far as wiring goes ive just gota mount my fusebox at the front on the passenger side and get it all connected.

Posted Image

and the drivers side...

Posted Image

Next update will be the heatshield and mounting the fusebox.

Anyone know what the 3 core connector is for on my fusebox? (left hand connector in the next pic) its normally mounted on top of the battery? im just gona cut it off if theres no use for it as i dont need it.

Posted Image

thoughts welcome...

Edited by MUSH, 05 April 2009 - 03:36 PM.

#15 kev 1.8t

kev 1.8t

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

good build thread matey. some inspiration there.

#16 quattro_kid

quattro_kid

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:00 PM

looking good matey, shes coming along nicely,

#17 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:06 PM

yep mate, engine will be in in a week i reckon. just gota fab up a decent heatshield then its all go.

#18 Triple L

Triple L

Twin Turbo Swagger

• Forum Member
  • 58,858 posts
  • Interests:Classic Cars
    The Art of Driving
    Photography
    Creative Writing
    Digital Fine Art
    Architechture
    Hip Hop
    Hip Hop Culture
    Anime/Manga
    Non-Genre Cinema
    Japanese Pop Culture
    Travelling

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

Looking good dude, my only very slight criticism is the intercooler placement, because its only going flow about half it's potential once the bumper is back in place and the grill is back on. Also not loving the CGTI sticker in back window... :P

#19 Addictive

Addictive

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:13 PM

Looks good mate, this thing'll be feckin quick when done.

#20 MUSH

MUSH

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 09:20 PM

Looking good dude, my only very slight criticism is the intercooler placement, because its only going flow about half it's potential once the bumper is back in place and the grill is back on. Also not loving the CGTI sticker in back window... :P

yeah i agree with you mate, i could have got a smaller I/C but thought this would be better, esp for future upgrades. As for how its exposed, i cant see a better way to mount that would be in better airflow without chopping stuff up, which i dont really want to do. And id rather the sleeper look than big pipes and I/C hanging out.

As for the CGTI sticker aswell as the rest on the rear windows, there not still on. lol that pic was taken just before it left the road about a year ago