23 replies to this topic

#1 Andi

Andi

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:49 PM

Hello.

Its not actualy my car, but a friends. Hes owned the car for 3 weeks and it drove without fault.

The car was left for a few days when we had the first lot of bad snow. But when he went to use it the car would not start.
There is spark and fuel but it just will not catch. We have used VAGCOM on it and its comming up with no found faults.
He has changed the plugs leads cap etc. We have tried a spare ECU on it and coded it in but still nothing.

Does anyone have any Sugestions ?

Thanks

#2 mojoman81

mojoman81

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 68 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:28 PM

might sound daft but i hope it wasn't frozen when he went to start it, could have stripped the teeth of the cam belt if it was. dose it turn over fast? check the cam belt

#3 gtijames

gtijames

iDubber "Big Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 05:24 PM

have you tried another coil? fail for a passtime

#4 jonesygti

jonesygti

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 409 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 07:24 PM

james got it bang on try a coil mk3 normal prob

#5 Andi

Andi

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 259 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

Thanks for the input.

There is a spark. Haven't checked timing yet. Although there seems to be compression indicating the belt is still intact.

#6 gtijames

gtijames

iDubber "Big Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 11:36 AM

comman for there to be a spark but its not strong enough and get blown out by the fuel

#7 mark2gti20vt

mark2gti20vt

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Can you hear the fuel pump priming? I had the same prob on a mk3 gti & it was down to a dodgey fuel pump relay

#8 JDUB 20V

JDUB 20V

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 3,430 posts
  • Interests:Dubs innit!

Posted 01 January 2011 - 07:47 PM

Theres an R reg forsale on autotrader for £300 with reverse gear probs if that works out cheaper. ;)

#9 pugoff

pugoff

Junior iDubber

• 6 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 11:05 AM

hi guys,

firstly i would like to thank Andi for all his help so far, he has been a huge help.

ok guys, wee update on where i am with it so far.

mk3 golf gti 8V
115'000 miles
timing belt done at 80k

now, i have so far tried another ECU,coil pack, plugs, leads and another ecu.

the timing is perfect, have had that checked twice now, its spot on.

its getting fuel to the rail, have removed the pipe's on the rail, turned ignition on and im getting fuel. so that to me means the fuel pump is working fine.
the plugs are wet when i remove them so car is defo gettig fuel. and its a good spark (have tried 2 coil packs now)

i have the imobiliser with the "dongel" type thing, where u put it into the little hole next to the key (led flashes untill this is done) if idont put the "dongle" into the hole and try and start the car nothing, the car doesnt turn over. (im guessing thats how this imobiliser works, it kills everything) but all is fine when i "disarm" it so im guessing that the imobiliser isnt the problem either.

the machanic i have spoken to is now saying things like....

1. try crank shaft sensor
2 try new injectors
3. check wireing loom for splits/broken wires

would any of that make sense, or what would you suggest i do from here?

any help is appriciated guys but please bear in mind im not the most machanicaly minded guy around so please where poss leave idiot proff instructions lol

thanks

Craig

#10 Timmy-Bizzle©

Timmy-Bizzle©

ALL TORQUE !

• Forum Member
  • 3,152 posts
  • Interests:TORQUEING

Posted 05 January 2011 - 06:38 PM

crank sensor is common problem on these and will just turn and turn over without catching........4mm allen key down behind oil filter in block with wire running up to a multi connector......i find it easier to take oil filter off to allow access, Eurocarparts or gsf sell em around £40......the wiring shroud on them normally goes very brittle and breaks off exposing the wire core
ECU relay are a common fault too but the fact you have fuel and some spark suggest this to be ok

#11 pugoff

pugoff

Junior iDubber

• 6 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 05:34 PM

crank sensor is common problem on these and will just turn and turn over without catching........4mm allen key down behind oil filter in block with wire running up to a multi connector......i find it easier to take oil filter off to allow access, Eurocarparts or gsf sell em around £40......the wiring shroud on them normally goes very brittle and breaks off exposing the wire core
ECU relay are a common fault too but the fact you have fuel and some spark suggest this to be ok

thanks for that reply. i have got myself a new sensor, will hopefully fit it tomorrow, tried tonight but apparently i have fat fingers lol and cant get at it. got my friendly local garage to do it for me, all being well it will run again this time tomorrow.

will keep thread updated :)

#12 pugoff

pugoff

Junior iDubber

• 6 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

right, wee update.

Timing has now been checked 3 times, its perfect.
crank shaft sensor changed - still not starting
temp sensor been ordered - will be fitted tomorrow

any1 got any other ideas??? im running out of patience now

#13 rubjonny

rubjonny

Community Hero

• Forum Member
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:31 PM

get vag-com plugged in again and check the measuring blocks, in particular what it says ecu and outside temp values are, plus the throttle position sensor value (push throttle in and out, check tps values returned are correct)

do you hear the throttle body clicking with the ignition on? check the earths to the side of the head and/or front of the engine block, should be a couple there. check for 12v at the evap valve black wire. worth taking battery tray off to check the earths under there too

oh! and disconnect the lambda probe plug, then try disconnecting the maf plug see if it runs ok then

edit: if all the above fails time to go thru the wires and check for continuity to the ecu

do you hear the pump prime with the ignition, then does it run while the engine is cranking on the starter?

Edited by rubjonny, 12 January 2011 - 04:38 PM.

#14 andys2k

andys2k

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:52 AM

do you hear the throttle body clicking with the ignition on?

The wifes does this, not something I've ever come across before & hers has a cold start issue that doesn't want to be solved! Is it normal for the TB to click away to itself?

#15 rubjonny

rubjonny

Community Hero

• Forum Member
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 11:53 AM

yeah its normal, the tb has an electric motor inside which does all the idle speed adjustment :)

#16 andys2k

andys2k

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 342 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

Good stuff, I thought it was knackered :blink:

#17 lowsyncro

lowsyncro

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,139 posts
  • Interests:Rachel Riley
    Rita Ora
    Aliona Vilani
    Lexi Belle
    Passat

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:50 AM

Bumping this thread up. I'm experiencing exactly the same issues with my vento (same engine). At first it didn't like the cold and wet, but is now refusing to start altogether? All suggestions welcome guys. Thanks:-)

#18 pugoff

pugoff

Junior iDubber

• 6 posts

Posted 15 January 2011 - 07:49 PM

can any1 help me with checking/setting the timing in the dizzy? this is about the only thing left to check/try.

have new fuel rail/injectors/FPR to fit tomorrow and see if that helps but dont think it will.

also tried a working air flow sensor....still nout

if anyone could help me with setting the timing in dizzy correctly id be very gratefull.

hoping to get vagcom back on next week, se what its saying for its self

cheers

#19 rubjonny

rubjonny

Community Hero

• Forum Member
  • 16,534 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 03:38 PM

2E:
http://vwtech.no-ip....ads/2edizzy.pdf

ADY/AGG:
http://vwtech.no-ip....ggadydizzy1.pdf
http://vwtech.no-ip....ggadydizzy2.pdf

#20 pugoff

pugoff

Junior iDubber

• 6 posts

Posted 16 January 2011 - 05:45 PM

2E:
http://vwtech.no-ip....ads/2edizzy.pdf

ADY/AGG:
http://vwtech.no-ip....ggadydizzy1.pdf
http://vwtech.no-ip....ggadydizzy2.pdf

cheers for that, after a hunt on the net i came accross that before i saw your reply. the timing is spot on from what i can tell.

could some1 please tell me if the crank shaft sensor and crank position sensor are different? and if so where is the 2nd 1 i mention located.

cheers