• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:19 PM

I have never fully understood the law when it comes to tyre wear hence why i have always changed my tyres as soon as i've noticed them to be anywhere near the limit. The present tyres on my car have an unusual pattern that i've not really come across before... I've recently purchased the car so would be grateful if someone could advise, as to whether or not, my tyres are legal... Please see following pictures

Drivers side front tyre outer grip looks to be completely worn however the majority of the inner tyre is still above the limits

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Front passenger side:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Tyres on the rear are near new:

Posted Image
Posted Image

It's only the outer section of the front tyres that are cause for concern, any help/advice would be appreciated

#2 DanVD

DanVD

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:22 PM

If there's still above 1.6mm of tread across the centre 3/4 of the entire tread then they're legal.

#3 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

So i dont need to worry about the outer section of the tyre by the way it looks?

#4 DanVD

DanVD

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:39 PM

Not entirely, if it went for an MOT like that it would pass aslong as the tread is like I said (Unless there are any cords exposed on the bald bit). Looks like positive camber or toe in on the tracking has caused it to me..

#5 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 09:59 PM

Not entirely, if it went for an MOT like that it would pass aslong as the tread is like I said (Unless there are any cords exposed on the bald bit). Looks like positive camber or toe in on the tracking has caused it to me..

Definately no metal showing anywhere on the tire and centre section seems to of worn evenly....any ideas where I can get a decent set of 225 40 18's for a reasonable price... may aswell get them changed soon.

#6 Mcblow

Mcblow

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 4,141 posts
  • Interests:My son,VW's,Drum'n'bass,

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

all tyres have wear markers on them,when the tread is level with them they are knackered,i normally try to change them before i get to the wear indicators

#7 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:06 PM

all tyres have wear markers on them,when the tread is level with them they are knackered,i normally try to change them before i get to the wear indicators

This is the problem.. the outer tread is level with the markers but the inner 3/4 section has quite a lot of tread left.. i just want to know if I'm safe to drive the car until the weekend..

#8 DanVD

DanVD

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 911 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:34 PM

Yes..

#9 Jolfa.

Jolfa.

Call a spade, a spade.

• Banned
  • 10,180 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 12:47 PM

In future, use a 20p piece, the outer part of that coin is the right depth to measure treads...

I'd get another 10,000+ miles out of those, I think you'll be fine 'til the weekend :lol:

Here you go, Google it, it's well documented.

Edited by Jolfa., 05 May 2011 - 12:50 PM.

#10 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Thanks guys, any recommendation on where can get decent tyres (not runway lol) for a reasonable price ? 225 40 18's..

#11 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

In future, use a 20p piece, the outer part of that coin is the right depth to measure treads...

I'd get another 10,000+ miles out of those, I think you'll be fine 'til the weekend :lol:

I couldn't find a 20p piece so used 10p instead. Apparently the dots around the circumference of a 10p piece measure 1.6mm from the edge.

#12 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:19 PM

I couldn't find a 20p piece so used 10p instead. Apparently the dots around the circumference of a 10p piece measure 1.6mm from the edge.

#13 vdub-ben

vdub-ben

iDubber "Big Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 04:53 PM

as said need to be 1.6mm + over 75 percent of radial diameter with no cords showing. basically you could have inner part completely bald as long as theres no cords with rest of the tyre over 1.6mm be legal

#14 chigmuss

chigmuss

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 343 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:36 PM

Above is almost there, 1.6mm over the central 75% of the tyre throughout its circumference. Therefore, the remaining 12.5% shoulders of the inner/outer part of the tyre can be below this. If you look at say an Exige which like many others has specific tyres there is no groove in this inner/outer part of the tyre (Yokohama tyres iirc) preumably to maximise grip. Generally your tread wear indicator is at 2mm depth, so it's incorrect to say your tyres are done at this point, although their rain dispersing properties through the grooves may be diminished. But as said above, you must not have any of the cord etc showing in the inner/outer 12.5% parts, or any other part of the tyre for that matter.

#15 Storm_VR6

Storm_VR6

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:59 PM

Above is almost there, 1.6mm over the central 75% of the tyre throughout its circumference. Therefore, the remaining 12.5% shoulders of the inner/outer part of the tyre can be below this. If you look at say an Exige which like many others has specific tyres there is no groove in this inner/outer part of the tyre (Yokohama tyres iirc) preumably to maximise grip. Generally your tread wear indicator is at 2mm depth, so it's incorrect to say your tyres are done at this point, although their rain dispersing properties through the grooves may be diminished. But as said above, you must not have any of the cord etc showing in the inner/outer 12.5% parts, or any other part of the tyre for that matter.

Your advice is much appreciated..., I was worried cause a local friend recently received 3 points on his licence due to the wear on the inner tyre.. I think the metal chord must of been visible in order for him to receive the points, not that he mentioned this ...

Edited by Storm_VR6, 05 May 2011 - 11:00 PM.