• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 gameover

gameover

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

I have noticed rust on both sides of my MK5 golf, where the wheel arch meets the sill.

As can be seen here.

Posted Image

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this? And if anyone has any tips on how i could repair this myself.

I thought it might have been covered under the rust warranty as the cars only 4 years old, however they have told me its caused by stone chips, which isn't covered under that warranty :/

Thanks in advance

#2 Stepho

Stepho

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Cars,what else

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

It should be covered under warranty, as the MkV falls into a 7 year anti corrosion cat I'm sure. I had a issue on my MkV R32 with the paint (or lack of it, due to stone chips) on the front section of the skirts, just inside the arch. I took it along to the dealer and it was repainted with no quams. I'd double check on the warranty mate. :D

#3 gameover

gameover

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 08:42 PM

It should be covered under warranty, as the MkV falls into a 7 year anti corrosion cat I'm sure. I had a issue on my MkV R32 with the paint (or lack of it, due to stone chips) on the front section of the skirts, just inside the arch. I took it along to the dealer and it was repainted with no quams. I'd double check on the warranty mate. :D

I took it to my local VW dealer, which happened to be Derby.

A guy came out and had a look and then told me its not covered because the rust was caused by stone chips.

Do you think its worth taking it to another VW dealer for them to take a look?

#4 GrRy

GrRy

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 3,535 posts
  • Interests:Repairing, Painting And Welding Cars

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

How does he know it was stone chips, go back and make a fuss it'll get sorted ;)

#5 mbh69

mbh69

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 529 posts
  • Interests:Bass, cars bikes big boys toys

Posted 05 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

thats terrible if it's factory paint i'd be kicking up a fuss theres something not right there cars with 150k and 10 years old don't usually look like that

#6 gameover

gameover

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

I'm going to take it to another VW dealer on saturday and see what they say.

I think I gave in too easily last time, and especially as the cars only 4 years old, i totally didnt expect to find any rust.

#7 mk1charger

mk1charger

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 218 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:27 PM

My 07 plate Mk5 is the same, and on both sides. Had the car from new and its never been damaged. Took it to VW and they said the same as they told you. Not very happy with the service and general response, and the fact I mentioned that if stones have damaged the paint then why does the arch liner drop down further to protect the painted edge that is prone to being damage like the front ones do on the sill (no response, not surprised). I am currently writing to:
Volkswagen UK Limted
Yeomans Drive
Blakelands
Milton Keynes
MK14 5NA

See what they have to say, have brought a 11 plate Bluemotion a few months ago too brand new. Happy with the cars just not the general service, and the fact once a car is brought they are only interested in new customers, not repeat business.

Edited by mk1charger, 12 October 2011 - 08:28 PM.

#8 gameover

gameover

Junior iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:08 PM

My 07 plate Mk5 is the same, and on both sides. Had the car from new and its never been damaged. Took it to VW and they said the same as they told you. Not very happy with the service and general response, and the fact I mentioned that if stones have damaged the paint then why does the arch liner drop down further to protect the painted edge that is prone to being damage like the front ones do on the sill (no response, not surprised). I am currently writing to:
Volkswagen UK Limted
Yeomans Drive
Blakelands
Milton Keynes
MK14 5NA

See what they have to say, have brought a 11 plate Bluemotion a few months ago too brand new. Happy with the cars just not the general service, and the fact once a car is brought they are only interested in new customers, not repeat business.

I took the car to another VW garage at the weekend where it was inspected (this time pictures were taken and a case was submitted to head office). This is alot more than the previous VW garage did, as they simply looked at the corrosion and said nope, that's not covered under the warranty.

It turns out that at the top of the arch there is some more corrosion on both sides(this is a common fault apparently).

The guy at VW took pictures of the sill rust and also the rust at the top of the arch.

Word back from VW head office a few days later was that they will replace both arches for the rust at the top of the arch for free, but the sill rust isn't covered under the warranty.

As both arches are being repaired , they are going to need to blend the paint in with each side of the car, they mentioned that for the cost of one hours labor, they are willing to repair the sills as well.

I now need to decide what to do.

#9 panelbeaterderek

panelbeaterderek

Junior iDubber

• 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:22 PM

Replace the arches? Hmm, that sounds like a load of cr&p!!!

Ive done alot of warranty rust jobs to merc arches ect. All that happens is, shot blast the rust areas, etch prime, quick skim of stopper to smooth out the pitting marks, then the painters re-stone chip it, paint it, and be done with it.

Sounds like they will probably paint the whole quatre, that should include the bottom of the sill, and they wont paint over the rust, so it will get done.

What ever happens, get it done, in a few years it will need welded.