• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 edmk2bmx

edmk2bmx

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Hi i have bought some inphase xtc 5 component speakers for my mk2, and i have a few questions,
I want to wire them up through an amp, can anybody recommend me a decent little amp thats reasonably priced, to wire it up through for some extra punch, have a spare JBL GT5-A604E 4 Channel Amplifier that i could use if it would be up to the job? or would it be overkill? also if i fitted some shelf support speakers how would i connect them? through an amp or straight to headunit? Also where abouts to you guys locate the aftermarket tweeters? in the oem place? that would be my first port of call so it looks all clean and tidy?

Lots of questions but im not too competent with audio but with a little help and as little trial and error as possible i should be okay haha

#2 dragonfly

dragonfly

aka loner

• Forum Member
  • 2,755 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:03 PM

The JBL amp should be fine to run your speakers. You can run all 4 form the amp if you wish or amp just the fronts and run the rears from the headunit. You may need to make a bracket to fit the tweeters in the dash but would be better on the door mirror trim.

#3 daljsd

daljsd

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 167 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

you can also 'mod' the original tweeter brackets and fit the new tweeters in place for an oem look. not the best position but easy to do and looks neat.

#4 RIPcompo

RIPcompo

IyeDubber

• Forum Member
  • 822 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:22 AM

The JBL amp should be fine to run your speakers. You can run all 4 form the amp if you wish or amp just the fronts and run the rears from the headunit. You may need to make a bracket to fit the tweeters in the dash but would be better on the door mirror trim.

How I have mine :)

Posted Image

#5 growen

growen

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

Sorry to thread hi jack but have u simply cut a circle in the mirror blank and screwed the tweeter in? I'm looking to do the same. Did you use a hole saw? Thanks and regards, greg

#6 AMO

AMO

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:57 PM

Why not make a small speaker pod using some fibreglass so the tweets are angled to driver. It's fairly easy if u dnt mind getting your hands dirty

#7 RIPcompo

RIPcompo

IyeDubber

• Forum Member
  • 822 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Sorry to thread hi jack but have u simply cut a circle in the mirror blank and screwed the tweeter in? I'm looking to do the same. Did you use a hole saw? Thanks and regards, greg

Got them of here bud and they were already like that, but its pretty simple. The flush fitting tweeter bit overlaps if the hole you cut is less than perfect an mine are glue gunned in place. You just need to cut a little notch into the bottom of the back of the blank so the wire can run down behind the door card.

Hope that helps, Tom

#8 growen

growen

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 224 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

Thanks bud

#9 Nathvr

Nathvr

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 08:26 AM

Those tweeters look smart in mirror blanks and they point in correct direction !

#10 RIPcompo

RIPcompo

IyeDubber

• Forum Member
  • 822 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:07 PM

Yeaman they sound and look spot on and not that hard a mod either :) would be better with 6' mid's though.

When the tweeters are in the stock dash location, the sound bounces back off the windscreen at you anyway (IIRC), its just a right {no swearing thanks} to get at.

#11 Sati

Sati

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:49 PM

must be some slim tweeters as mine wont fit there with out a spacer ring.. also its easyer to run mk3 tweeters in the dash and angle them to were you want.. mk2 ones are rubbish.

#12 DrPye

DrPye

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:DUB DUB AND DUBBERS

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:26 PM

just stick the tweeters in the dash in the location of the old speakers. They bounce off the windscreen giving one of the best results for the sound stage. Plus looks better than having a random speaker plonking out your mirror blanks.

#13 thegave

thegave

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

i thought having the sound bounce off the windscreen was a bad thing

#14 Sati

Sati

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:40 PM

its a personal choice , i have mine bouncing of the screen and sound great to me a others who herd it , some prefer having the tweeter point at there ears .. i find this to sharp and harsh on my ears. try out both places see which you like and then fix the tweeters in that spot.

#15 Nathvr

Nathvr

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:56 PM

Personaly i would always have them pointing into the centre of car or across the dash and not up at the screen but its a personal choice !