• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 mad_man_moss

mad_man_moss

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Have been looking to have my black leon machine polished.
But have spoke to quite a few local companies and price really seems to vary. What is the price I can expect to pay???

#2 benpolo6n2

benpolo6n2

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 693 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

would like to know this too, or just a link to a beginners one to start off

#3 Organisys

Organisys

Two rusty old Golfs

• Forum Member
  • 2,989 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:29 PM

I doubt any serious detailer will give you a price until they see the car. Particularly I you are looking for full correction.

#4 mad_man_moss

mad_man_moss

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 08:46 PM

Ah I see my car isn't that bad to b honest. Was just looking for a rough idea have a local company offering a machine polish and wax £40 then seen another company for £200 I was just wondering what is a realistic price.

#5 b3n76

b3n76

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:00 PM

Depends what there offering for there prices?
Would hate to see the £40 machine polish on a black car.
Just my opinion but £200 sounds more realistic if your having some sort of paint correction.Every cars paint/condition will vary so hence the price will aswell.

#6 mad_man_moss

mad_man_moss

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Thats great cheers for the advice i was thinking it sounds abit cheap so will leave it. Would rather pay more and get a 1st class job.

many thanks

#7 christof 22

christof 22

"Mincing Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:33 PM

but at the same time you don't want bumming...

£200 id rather buy myself a DA some pads some cutting compound and do it myself

thats why i did actually for less than £200

#8 SatinVR6

SatinVR6

iDubber "Big Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

It varies to what you actually want i.e. an enhancement detail will be cheaper than a full on paint correction. A small car will start at around £250. Just check out some of the websites like KDS Keltec, MIrcale Detail, etc...

#9 shamstar

shamstar

If you ain't first...your last!

• Forum Member
  • 6,953 posts
  • Interests:mk1's

Posted 07 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

Machine polish should only conssist of a wizz around the car just addressing a few swirlies...doing it by masking the car up is a minimum of £100....paint correction/detail could be well in the hundreds...

#10 Heavenly

Heavenly

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 08:38 PM

It varies to what you actually want i.e. an enhancement detail will be cheaper than a full on paint correction. A small car will start at around £250. Just check out some of the websites like KDS Keltec, MIrcale Detail, etc...

Asmall car would start at around £500 i would think and Miracle is £75 an hour plus vat.
I would be surprised if you got what i would call a reputable detailer to do full correction for less than £350 after they have paid tax and insurance and purchased new pads etc for it , i know i spend approx £80 on each car i do and use £500+wax but then in my opinion to gain the best possible is the same as a Michelin Chef using the finest ingredients. You do get what you pay for and polish fallback is the biggest killer people dont understand , ive had 2 cars in the last 5 weeks that looked amazing when finished and ive even seen the sunlight pictures myself and commented how nice they looked but a month later when the oils and fillers have washed away the lovely car looked like bag of sh1te , hence i did it again for them correctly.

One such example is below , a member on here i believe , polish fallback at its best and my good friend up north recorrected this for the owner.

Posted Image

and then theres the amazing detailer who didnt have a gauge at Inters last year :ph34r:

Posted Image

#11 SatinVR6

SatinVR6

iDubber "Big Pigeon"

• Forum Member
  • 2,232 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

You're right those companies mentioned will not be charging £250 to enhance/correct the car, but that's not to say you can't get something with another company for around that price. As with anything you get what you pay for. I mentioned them more as they have price structures outlining what they offer and what you expect to pay so he has more of a guide :)

#12 Heavenly

Heavenly

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 334 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

Yea for sure....

#13 speed_freak

speed_freak

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 315 posts

Posted 09 August 2012 - 10:44 PM

If you look in seat section mate I have a black Leon that I had detailed and looks well and didn't cost the earth to get it done and it was a mess before

#14 dooka

dooka

iDubber Leg End

• Forum Member
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:detailing, windsurfing, dubbing, all sorts :)..

Posted 10 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

I would say between £350 and £700 depending on original condition and how far you want to go with it.. I think Marc is right saying around £500 for a proper job, with someone who has the experience, talent and necessary insurances in place.. Insurance and unit rental are pricey, so those costs do need to be recouped..

Marc, who the hell left a car like that, PM me :)..

#15 Dave.G

Dave.G

iDubber "Big Mince"

• Forum Member
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:my new mk2

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:06 PM

It's such a wide range as everybody is saying above.

You could opt for a cheaper version to just 'enhance' the car, which makes a hell of a difference, or head up to a full correctional detail.

Ive had a machine polisher for the past couple of years and still wouldn't be able to be anyway near some of the real retailers work, it's amazing skill, and a lot of time,materials and effort.
Cost usually reflects the job being done.

#16 robbbbbbbbbbb

robbbbbbbbbbb

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 93 posts
  • Interests:cars, F1, UFC, rum!!!

Posted 12 August 2012 - 09:08 PM

ive machine polished some cars as favours to friends and neighbours, i'm by no means a expert and to see the pros work in the flesh is amazing, really top class skills involved.

when i wanted mine done, a guy quoted £500 for a golf and he would need it for two days, so i bought the machine, read as much as i can, watched the videos, got my scrap panel, beat the crap out fo it, then tried to correct it with a machine, a month later of playing around i was ready to play on the real car. done about 5 cars now, including a 20 year Pug 1.9 gti that i remember as a 18 yr old and the older lads in the street had them / and a 40k Black Range Rover sport (scary)

didnt charge a penny for any of them, fool that i am lol

when you break the cost down, £500 over 2/3 days work, and there long hours , expenses taken into account and they have to live, its isnt going to make you a millionaire quickly.

Edited by robbbbbbbbbbb, 12 August 2012 - 09:12 PM.

#17 Scott Thurlow

Scott Thurlow

iDubber

• Forum Member
  • 393 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:11 PM

where is the op based?