Sign in to follow this  
veedubdude

Legalities of wide wheels.

Ok, this is a widely covered topic on most dub forums, and from reading a lot the consensus is that as lone as the tread is covered by the wheel arch, this is legal.

However, I've now been stopped three times in under two weeks, even though I run stretched tyres and rolled arches to get the tread under the arch. First two times I explained what I believed to be legal and both times the officers (normal officer and second time traffic officer) let me go no problems. The traffic officer took my mobile number so that he could check the law out for definite and then get back to me to let me know. (Not for prosecution or anything like that, but for my own peace of mind.) However I never got a call back... Tonight another traffic officer pulls me over first claiming you have 1 inch from the arch the wheel must be under, and that he knows because he is a traffic officer and knows everything he should about his job, and then changes his mind and instead, a conversation that he had with a vehicle examiner he was told just last week that in fact the whole wheel must be covered. He was a fair bloke, and gave me a chance to rectify the wheels and get the MOT stamp etc.

Does anyone have any links/photocopies/ any hard proof of what is legal and not legal.

Recently I have been told that the tread under the arch is the law in Germany, and does not apply here in the UK.

Basically I want something I can carry in my glovebox that states the law clearly so that I will have no more problems!

Thanks guys, and any help is greatly accepted!

i'm pretty sure if the tread is under the arch you should have no issues, someone might post alink to the MOT testing guide, which loosley defines these areas.

Trouble is these area's are generally grey, no-one knows what exactly is legal and what isn't

Depends what officer you come accross and if their haters or not i'm afraid

Ive posted over on the police forum, so lets see what they say! Im going to have a search for the MOT guide now, and see if I can pull any information from that! Cheers bud :)

MOT guide

everythings a grey area if you look at it hard enough

hope this helps

Detailed description of the UK MOT Test for Cars:

Registration plates and Vehicle Identification Number* (VIN)

For registered vehicles the plate must be:

The tyres are examined to ensure that there is no fouling with any part of the vehicle.

thats the dubber failed than :lol:

Edited by Furkz

if this be all true with not even the wheel being allowed to protrude, im foobared!

nothing in the MOT says that it can't protrude from under the arch, tread will go under the arch though lol, might be making mine slightly bigger in the next few weeks!!

yeah but a car can legally have an MOT but doesnt comply with construction and use regulations, its like you can get an MOT with illegal numberplates, as there are other regulations that they must comply with too.

What I've been wondering is what about buses/commercial vehicles where the wheel studs protrude past the wheel and arch, seen one the other day where they stuck out about two inches from the line of the arch, well proud of the wheel and tyre. If cars can't run with a bit of poke how the hell are these allowed on the roads?

Massive grey area, about time the police cleared it up to be honest.

The copper is wrong, all you need to do is state this lovely line

Construction & Use states that when viewed from directly above 3/4 of the tread of the tyre must be covered.

Thats the only rule relating to it, no mention of the wheel or anything.

Matt

The copper is wrong, all you need to do is state this lovely line

Construction & Use states that when viewed from directly above 3/4 of the tread of the tyre must be covered.

Thats the only rule relating to it, no mention of the wheel or anything.

Matt

Do you have a link to the page where that came from? Cheers!

Right - I've by-passed MOT regulations as basically there was not enough information on wheels sticking out from bodywork. Legislation is however clear from VOSA for SVA testing (needed for kit-car or repaired insurance write-offs.)

I can only access a 2000 manual online, but basically; it breaks down like this, for protusions beyond the bodywork:

Section 18: External Projections:

2. There shall be no other feature on the external surface of the vehicle likely to increase the risk or

seriousness of injury to any person who could come into contact with the vehicle. Without

prejudice to the generality of the foregoing, the radius of curvature of all hard parts protruding

from this external surface which can be contacted by a sphere of 100mm diameter, shall

be not less than 2.5mm.

Now, the important part: (This relates to the above passage)

The second sentence of

paragraph 2 shall not apply to -

(d) wheels, if there are no pointed or sharp features which projects beyond the

external plane of the wheel rim, no wing nuts are fitted and there are no

projections beyond the vehicle body plan form apart from tyres and wheel

discs, (including central wheel securing nuts) if the latter have a radius of

curvature of not less than 30mm and do not project by more than 30mm

beyond the vehicle body plan form ;

So in 2000 looking at this information as long as you dont have something sharp on your wheel (like James Bond spikes etc. lol) the wheel can protrude 30mm from the arch.

HOWEVER: I have then checked a DRAFT 2004 manual, which clearly states on page 109, that;

Reason for Failure:

v. A wheel:

surley that means you can have 30mm of poke - just over an inch which is plenty.

??

Well thats what I thought at first, but it clearly states a wheel that projects beyond the body plan is a failure... and im pretty sure a 'wheel disc' or 'central securing nut' does not mean the alloy itself.

Anyways, obviously what you run yourselves is up to you, but Im fed up of being pulled over and Ive had the wheels on for less than two weeks. So its either more arch mods to completely cover the 9s, or a new set of wheels for me...

Something Ive just written on another forum as I wasnt thinking about the age of our cars at first:

'I went in search of road regulations and thus far this is the closest I've come to finding anything.

Going on the principal of the age of the car (which I hadnt thought about until you said that...) then pre 2004 could possibly get away with 30mm of poke...'

So Oli, you are probably correct, depending on the age of the car!

30mm poke sounds good to me!

Edited by veedubdude

can this get pinned please - its useful!!

anyone come to a final decision about legality then?

Edited by LiL_ShuteS

Dunno why people keep stating MOT regulations, they dont even matter to the police. The police have their own regs. If a dibble pulls you over for your protruding wheels or whatever then "it passed an MOT like that" isnt a valid excuse to them.

If that statements true about only 3/4 of the tread having to be covered, then most of us are home and dry! If someone can post a link to confirm this then that'd be sweeet.

what about tractors and jcb's that have no arches

agricultural vehicles have different rules... like no tax.... no MOT.... Cheap fuel

Sign in to follow this