Hi all, i am doing a bike carb conversion on my mk3 abf and so far have gathered;

Bike carbs

Bike fuel pump

kr ignition controller

still got to get the kr dizzy and make a manifold.

today i removed the injection system and have some questions...

what do i do with all the wiring left for the inj system?

12305_386453409355_586899355_3650030_4174565_n.jpg

what do i do with the idle control valve and the hose that joins it to the block?

what is this and what do i do with the pipe?

12305_386453804355_586899355_3650041_2292709_n.jpg

No idea, won't affect the engine running though, the carbs will deliver the fuel and the KR spark bits will do the spark and that's all you need to make an engine run!

Guest likeafish

It will do when you're running injection, but as you're not, nope! Junk it :)

I've got a 16v on bike carbs at my parents in Yorkshire, it should be finished and back at mine by the 8th. I'm only over in Thurrock so if you're still having problems then bob over and have a look at mine.

It will do when you're running injection, but as you're not, nope! Junk it :)

I've got a 16v on bike carbs at my parents in Yorkshire, it should be finished and back at mine by the 8th. I'm only over in Thurrock so if you're still having problems then bob over and have a look at mine.

cheers mate i might well do that :D

thats only the TCI module, you need the KR ecu and loom as well.

well, you could use it if you found a carb/k-jet 8v TCI loom and some kind of vacuum advance dizzy that fits your engine...

this is what tyhe KR ignition control loom looks like:

g2krignloom.jpg

1 - Earth to battery -ve

2 - KR ign controller plug

3 - TCI-H plug

4 - Black - KR ign controller & TCI-H ign live - terminal 15 side of coil

5 - Green - Coil trigger - terminal 1 side of coil

\- red/black - spade is for the isv control unit, the main wire is the rev counter feed

6 - Brown - Earth to cylinder head

7 - Blue/white - Temp sensor feed (use one of the 3 on the side of the head)

8 - Dizzy plug

9 - red/yellow - Fuel pump relay earth trigger

\- black/yellow - idle switch feed (12v feed with throttle shut)

Edited by rubjonny

ok i'm on a bit of an information overload at the moment. am i right in thinking that the kr ecu is the ignition controller and there not 2 seperate things?

sorry if my questions seem kind of stupid but every project i have done in the past was mainly cosmetic as i am a sprayer with limited mech knowlege but a sturdy spannering hand when told how to do things ;)

Edited by my-forumusername-isinappropriate-thx

The bit you need is two electrical gizmos mounted as one unit that fits under the scuttle tray. It has 2 big fat plugs going to it (2 and 3 in the picture John posted), you just have one of the bits.

the TCI unit you have is also sometimes known as the ignition controller, which it basically is on k-jet and carbed models. it gets a feed from the hall sensor and triggers the coil accordingly.

On the digifant 8v and 16v models there is still a TCI unit fitted, but instead the hall sensor is wired to the ecu. the ecu then does some maths and triggers the TCI, which then triggers the coil.

You need both for your project, just ask for a MK2 16v ECU and you shouldn't go wrong. I have a green writing one in my garage actually, £20 and its yours! unfortunatly I dont have the wiring to go with it though

Hi all, i am doing a bike carb conversion on my mk3 abf and so far have gathered;

Bike carbs

Bike fuel pump

kr ignition controller

still got to get the kr dizzy and make a manifold.

today i removed the injection system and have some questions...

what do i do with all the wiring left for the inj system?

12305_386453409355_586899355_3650030_4174565_n.jpg

what do i do with the idle control valve and the hose that joins it to the block?

what is this and what do i do with the pipe?

12305_386453804355_586899355_3650041_2292709_n.jpg

Coming into this thread late on and it seems you have been getting good info but I'll bet these guys are running their ABF's in a mk1/2. You are going to be disappointed come MOT time if your doing this to your mk3 as you will find it neigh on impossible to get the emissions sorted for the stricter mk3 guidelines ( not a problem when in a mk1/2). really need to be looking at throttlebodies only to get you past, good luck :)

You are going to be disappointed come MOT time if your doing this to your mk3 as you will find it neigh on impossible to get the emissions sorted for the stricter mk3 guidelines ( not a problem when in a mk1/2). really need to be looking at throttlebodies only to get you past, good luck :)

Why? Why would throttle bodies be any different? Worst case you can just change the air/fuel mixture to suit... :wacko:

I have a green writing one in my garage actually, £20 and its yours! unfortunatly I dont have the wiring to go with it though

i think i`ll have that off you mate, i`ll just have to clear it with the mrs :wacko: and see if its ok to come get it this w/end if thats alright?

Coming into this thread late on and it seems you have been getting good info but I'll bet these guys are running their ABF's in a mk1/2. You are going to be disappointed come MOT time if your doing this to your mk3 as you will find it neigh on impossible to get the emissions sorted for the stricter mk3 guidelines ( not a problem when in a mk1/2). really need to be looking at throttlebodies only to get you past, good luck :)

i have a friendly mot man ;)

in regards to the loom, can i purchase the plugs on there own from vw so i can make my own loom?

Edited by my-forumusername-isinappropriate-thx

Why? Why would throttle bodies be any different? Worst case you can just change the air/fuel mixture to suit... :wacko:

Bodies are alot more variable than a set of jetted carbs mate with each part of the fueling controlled seperately, Carbs use a venturi effect to control the fueling in ratio to the airflow. bike carbs are ok to set-up for full running but are awkward to get set-up to pass the idle emissions test on later cars where the figures are tighter controlled. friendly MOT guy = bonus

thats a good point actually, if the car is later than 93ish the emmissions levels are much more strict than they are for a MK2, I doubt you could get carbs to pass without a cat. and a cat would die very quickly if you fitted one, tho i guess at a push could swap one on to pass MOT then remove again.

this weekend is cool mate, just let me know when you want to collect. You can buy the plugs from VW but they're going to be expensive, plus you'll have to buy all the pins seperate. If I were you I'd just wait for a loom to come up, doesnt matter what age mk2 its from either pre/post 90. Corrado KR loom would work as well

rubjonny pee emmed.

another question :rolleyes: would a kr inlet manifold fit onto an abf as that looks easier to mod to fit bike carbs?

I really would just get a inlet mani made up mate! It'll save you in the long run.