Hi everyone, I have a new project to bring to you guys. This one is more sentimental than the others, and really is a childhood dream for me. Ever since getting into dubs from the age of 10, thanks to my uncles (dad's brother) Mk1:

185199_10150286256643353_510028352_7749075_8027586_n.jpg.f550bb936c69a5d4b20a58523fb052aa.jpg

I've always wanted my own "true" project as such. Where I can get truly stuck in myself, and be able to call the car "my own". At the age of around 9ish, my uncles Mk1 build was in full swing and he had a few other cars he was knocking around in at the time, one of them being this: 

IMG_1164_zps94ef4afe.jpg

Introducing...... Princess ANN. Now this car originally started life as a 1987 1.8 16v KR in white! Then when my uncle acquired it, she was resprayed in Porsche Maritime Blue (purple to most people lol) and converted to big bumper, 90's spec. The car wasn't running either, and was generally looking quite sorry for itself, the picture above was when it was in "it's prime" as such, so at the time the most popular conversion people were doing in the scene was putting a VR6 lump in the Mk2. This is exactly what my uncle done, and sourced a donor 1995 Corrado VR6. The conversion was pretty much lifting the Mk2 shell and plunking it on to the Corrado running gear. The whole interior was Corrado too, apart from a set of G60 recaros. Now, at this point, my uncle needed the funds for his Mk1 project, and therefore, he sold the car on to my other uncle (mum's brother). I had never been taken for a spin in this car until my mum's brother acquired it, and the first time I did go into it, all 

Edited by GurpalD
Broken Image

..Continue from last post..

I could remember was being terrified lol. She was an animal! The car weighed practically nothing and had a powerful lump under the hood, and handled beautifully being all Corrado underneath. Here's a snap of when my mum's brother had it: 

IMG_1159_zps86fb3a94.jpg

So he enjoyed it for a few years, made a few M3's look silly and also done it the royal gesture of stacking it when going round a round-about. The 20vt's were becoming popular at this time, and it was roughly around 2003 when he sold it on. It exchanged a few hands after that, but remained local until it was sold to a chap somewhere in London. 

In 2004, my mum's cousin brother spotted the car come up for sale on Edition38 forums, and the chap who'd bought it in London had begun stripping the car down and was midway through the process. The recaro's were gone, the interior was all over the place, and the car was running, but had seen better days. Knowing how much of animal it was, and the potential that the running gear had, my mum's cousin brother went and bought it. He recovered it home, got it roadworthy and MOT'd, stuck some RS's on it and drove it round for a few months until the petrol costs of a 2.9 started to dent the wallet too much, so he parked it up in 2005. 

The car stayed parked up like this for following 8 years  :( :

IMG_1161_zpsac5af618.jpg

IMG_1162_zps34fac621.jpg

2013, rolled round and I'd had grown in to a right dub addict. I had the picture of the Princess above on the A3 wheels on my bedroom wall since the age of 16, and was determined to pry it off my uncle! After many late nights, and pleading.... he finally gave in. He said that his plans were to remove the Corrado running gear and put them into a different shell that he had. I was mortified by this, and glad that I managed to save her  :D

So this is how I got the car: 

IMG_0872_zps4c271dcc.jpg

IMG_1442_zpsa6ed9b08.jpg

Lovely I know.... I stripped the horrible interior to inspect the condition of the floorpan and see what I was dealing with: 

IMG_3655_zps5c8325b5.jpg

IMG_3656_zpsb101a520.jpg

The Corrado dash was still in place, along with the steering wheel. But the lower half of the dash, as well as the handbrake tunnel were all missing. Here's the state of the wiring thanks to the chap who got halfway through stripping it: 

IMG_3827_zps9d5e223b.jpg

IMG_3835_zps837883bc.jpg

(Upside down fusebox!!!) 

So the car wasn't running, and was completely dead when we attempted to put a battery in to it.. So I had it recovered home: 

IMG_0878_zps41c300cf.jpg

Let the fun begin...... :wub:

Edited by GurpalD
Broken Images

What are your plans?

Long term plans will be to strap a gigantic turbo to it and go for a sequential gearbox...

Short term plans are to get it road worthy & use it on Sunday's :)

Gurpal

Great story! Looking forward to seeing what you do with this.

Thanks bud.. Got another update coming.. Just in the process of typing it up  :)

Update 2:

....So, with the car home, and me having more free time during the week post exams, I thought I'd better set out a vision of what I want to do with this car. Now since I'm never looking to sell this car, I want to do something special with it, regardless of what is in the scene etc etc. But, before all that, I kinda wanted the joy of reliving my childhood a bit, and get it running and start driving it on Sunday's to start with, and run it in to daily use after 8 years of being stood. So I started with the basics.

1. Spark plugs out and inspected for any oil deposits. There were none thankfully, but I replaced them with NGK ones anyway. Thankfully none of the red HT leads broke either in the process, as these are known to be fragile at best when not using the correct VAG tool. 

2. Drained the old fuel out, and put fresh fuel in.

3. Dumped the old oil out, and replaced the sump plug and washer. Good job I did as the old sump plug was bent from what looks to be a scrape and oil was leaking from it ever so slightly. I also replaced the oil filter with a brand new genuine paper element filter, and filled her up with Quantum Synta Silver 10w40.  

4. I then went about manually turning the crank by hand, so I reduce the risk of putting a nice big fat crack right through the block when trying to start it. 

5. Last but not least, I went to check all fuses and relays and all were ok, just extremely dusty lol. 

So when I put a battery in her, I put the key in and hoped for the best. I turned the key, hoping for the best. But there was no sound. I heard the relays click, but that was it. I tried cranking it, but no crank. At this point, I was fearing the worst  :(

I rolled her back into the garage, and left her there whilst I went to go do some much needed research to see what the starting issue could be. I was scouring forums day and night, reading each and every comment for the smallest of clue's that could lead down the right path. Then one day, I hopped in to my Mk3 VR6 (the one in my signature), turned the key, but didn't start it as I was reading a message on my phone. That's when I heard it...... The fuel pump prime noise! When I turned the key in the Mk2, there was no prime from the in-tank fuel pump. So in the afternoon, that was my first culprit I needed to investigate!: 

Here's the fuel pump in it's housing, which can be found beside the spare wheel in the boot. Note the arrows on the nozzles where the fuel lines connect to: 

IMG_3830_zps4f0ec5d9.jpg

Taken out and replaced with a brand new unit: 

IMG_3832_zps2a167393.jpg

Now at this point, I was probably as high as a bird, along with my uncle from who I bought the car, thanks to the fumes from the petrol in the tank, but it was goooooooooooooooood.  :lol:

We bolted everything back up, triple checked everything was connected correctly, and went to try and start her up. We turned the key, still no prime from the fuel pump. Again, we didn't attempt to crank her as we knew no fuel is reaching the engine, so it would have been pointless. If anything, we would have just risked knackering the start motor and draining the battery! 

From what I had read on the forums, two more possible culprits could be the fuel pump relay (167) and the ECU relay (109). These are cheap enough, so I ordered to brand new ones off eBay, and plugged them straight in when they arrived in the post a few days later. This time when I turned the key, I did get a nice loud prime from the pump! All excited, I turned the key a little further and the old girl started to crank, but she didn't start. After two further attempts at this, and still no luck starting her up, I gave up and resorted back to the forums. 

I didn't have any luck with forums, and was speaking to the original builder of the car (my uncle, Sunny Dhesi), he pointed out that the car was running the 16v fuel system set up, due to the 16v running a higher pressure 5 bar fuel pump. He educated me that the 16v's run a twin fuel pump set up. One small pump being in the tank with sender unit, and another larger pump mounted beneath the car along with the accumulator & fuel filter in a plastic housing. He said that these pumps are prone to seizing after not seeing use after a while, and it might be worth removing and replacing. I went to remove the pump, and in the process, I managed to break one of the very rusty pipes that lead from the accumulator to the fuel pump. These have banjo fixings on the end of them which weren't in the best of states, hence why it snapped on removal. Trying to source a replacement pipe was like trying to find Bigfoot.....it wasn't happening anytime soon. I took the whole fuel pump housing, along with the broken pipe down to my local Pirtek, and came away with this:

IMG_1154_zps3a5f60c8.jpg

Look at the difference in quality between the two banjo fixings: 

IMG_1153_zps512dd2d0.jpg

I mounted the housing back to the car, and reconnected all the fuel lines I had to remove in order to take the housing away from the car. I was waiting on a fuel filter to arrive at my local VW dealer, so I couldn't start it, but I was sure eager to!

The following day I installed the new fuel filter, and put the battery in her from my Mk3 VR6. As soon as I had tightened up that battery, my fingers were crossed the entire time from when I grabbed the key, to the minute I stuck it in the ignition and turned the key. The first time I turned the key, I heard a lot louder prime, and heard the fuel rush up the pipes. I done this again so that I knew the fuel had a chance to reach closer to the fuel rail. Third time lucky I thought, and I cranked her. She hesitated at first, but then fired into life!  :D

Another update later today guys....  :wub:

Gurpal

Edited by GurpalD
Broken images

Wow Gurpal - great story :wub:    Wish my uncles were into VW's back in the day. Looks like you got your work cut out for you there!  Well done on getting it fired up -

Will look forward to the updates - the very best of luck with it!

Eddie.

Wow Gurpal - great story :wub: Wish my uncles were into VW's back in the day. Looks like you got your work cut out for you there! Well done on getting it fired up -

Will look forward to the updates - the very best of luck with it!

Eddie.

Thanks Eddie!

Yeah it really helps having people there that I can call on to give me advice and stuff as first hand experience is priceless in my eyes.

I have another update coming later on today :)

Gurpal

Awesome story mate!

Good look with that.

I bought my octavia vrs back, which I had from new, 7 years after selling it. Don't feel like I could ever part with it now.

Cheers Paul. 

I knew as soon as I turned 16 that I wanted this car. Just the memory of going out in it when I was a kid just stuck with me for so long, and it was always a memory I wanted to re-live. 

Gradually, I'll get it to the standard that I want it to be  :)

Gurpal

Update 3: 

..... You can imagine after being stood around for 8 years, the interior wasn't gonna be the nicest of places to be. It was half dismantled, the doorcards had been trimmed appallingly in some vinyl leather. The front seats were trimmed in the same material, as was the rear bench. The front seats were Mk2, and the rear bench was from a Corrado. I don't have any pictures of the front seats or doorcards, and quite frankly, I'm glad I don't as they were really a joke. But I do have a couple of snaps of the rear bench..

Here it is prior to being cleaned, just removed from the car, you can see the grime on them: 

IMG_0915_zps1a899e44.jpg

IMG_0916_zps51f1ca5f.jpg

The good news is that the headlining, as well as all the pillar trims are in fantastic condition. They do not sag, do not have any sags, stains or creases, so that is a relief. On top of that, they are all black too which is a bonus!  :)

Whilst all the seats were out, I removed the carpet and treated it to a good wet vac. Removing years of gunk and making the carpets come up really looking as good as new, with no rips or tears!  :) .. Here's a snap of the dash in-situ along with the clean carpet re-installed: 

IMG_0922_zps26c2e82f.jpg

I have the Corrado instrument cluster, which currently isn't working correctly (I get mileage and the time, but no speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, temp gauge or MFA). However, the car didn't come with the centre console, the handbrake tunnel, the cluster binnacle, various switches, or the lower parts of the Corrado dash. 

In addition, the fusebox isn't mounted in the best of ways, and as far as I can tell, is also upside down!  :blink:

The interior at the moment is a far cry of what it used to be with the recaro's in there, but I have a few friends who helped me source the bits I need to try and complete the interior, which I will elaborate more on in a future update  :)

But I feel like I'm making strong progress with it, and day by day I want to get it out on the road more and more!  :wub:

The rear bench and the front seats and doorcards will all be going up for sale even though they aren't in the best of states, but could come in useful for someone else, so if any of you are interested then let me know... They'll be going for fairly peanuts anyway  :)

Another heftier update coming later on this evening.. Just done this one for you guys during my lunch hour  :P

Gurpal

Edited by GurpalD
Broken images

Mate thats a fantastic story!!

I bought an XR2 Mk1 last week and in a box of bits was a tax disc for a Mini i built from a shell 20 years ago!!! Turns out the guy who i got the XR2 off had bought my old car 10 years ago and stripped it!

Best of luck with the build :-)

Tim

Loving this thread, all the history about the car too.

Fantastic project

Thanks so much! 

Yeah I've known the car a long long time and hence the sentimental value it holds for me. 

More updates on the way  :)

Gurpal

Mate thats a fantastic story!!

I bought an XR2 Mk1 last week and in a box of bits was a tax disc for a Mini i built from a shell 20 years ago!!! Turns out the guy who i got the XR2 off had bought my old car 10 years ago and stripped it!

Best of luck with the build :-)

Tim

Cheers Tim! 

Haha what luck eh! Finding the tax disc! I found one for this in her glove box that was dated 31/05/2005, the last time she saw roads  :o

Gurpal

Haha great read that... you should right a novel :)

Following this build & good luck!

Haha cheers mate! 

I've always enjoyed reading through an in-depth build thread, where you can tell it's not just owner and a car. 

I'll have more updates on the way  :)

Gurpal

belting read lool forward to next update

Thank you bud! 

Just typing up the next update  ;)

Gurpal

Update 4:

... I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of the members on this forum are aware that the right wheels can make or break a car. For instance, take my Uncle's Mk1 in the first picture above, I genuinely believe that although the Porsche Polar Silver paintwork, custom grill, wide arches and chrome bumpers really do have a massive effect on the way the car looks, the stance is made because of those RS001's  :wub:

The A3 wheels on Princess ANN never ever done the car any justice, whether it be when it was in it's prime or in the state that I acquired it. Before I continue with the wheels, I should probably explain the name "Princess ANN".. The ANN part is fairly straight forward. Its the last three digits of the reg, E908 ANN. When the car was on the road in the early 2000's, being light purple in colour made the car instantly feminine  :lol:  .. until one day someone suggested the name Princess ANN, and ever since then, it's just kinda stuck with it. The people who know the car instantly refer to it as Princess ANN  :lol: . 

So back to the wheels.... Some could argue that the A3 wheels give it the sleeper look. Coupled with the single headlight, 7 slat grille and no foglights in the bumper, if the car passed you in the traffic, it would certainly raise a few eyebrows as to whether it was a GTI or CL. The only real give away's being the '90s spec trim and rear light clusters. The beady eye'd observer would notice the finer details, because although the 16x6.5J Audi wheels tuck cutely beneath the '90s spec arches, very few Audi wheels are 4 stud. 

Being one of these beady-eyed observers myself, I thought the Audi wheels weren't discreet enough, and a purple Mk2 Golf was never really going to blend into the day to day traffic, I decided to ditch the sleeper look. At the time, I had my black 16" Mercedes Eltanin winter wheels from my Mk3 VR6 lying in the garage along with the hub-centric PCD adapters. So I thought why not remove the Audi wheels and experiment with black wheels. Being 7.5J and a lower offset, I thought they'd look better placed under the arches. 

Here's a few pics of how they looked: 

44a34822_4a3a_4b75_90f8_a336964566d3_zps

IMG_0935_zps89ae0c33.jpg

I also had a spare, genuine brand new twin headlight grille lying in my bedroom that I got given as a gift, so I thought I'd plonk that on to give the Princess her face back lol  :P

The wheels fitted the car a lot better. The hub adapters were all 20mm all round, and all 4 wheels had identical specs in terms of width and offset. The car stayed like this for a while whilst I moved on to seeing if she actually could move now that the engine was running!  ;)

Now here's what I imagine you all have probably been waiting for. But I can assure you, I was the most eager to experience this: 

To put it simply, it was amazing!!!  :wub:  .... Literally felt like a little kid again, even though it was part acceleration as the brakes were pretty much non-existent and I could feel her wanting to start spinning her wheels.... Naughty Naughty!  :P

It was the first time I had heard the engine running since I was kid. The first time I had sat in it on a normal road. The first time I had ever properly sat in the drivers seat and most importantly, it was the first time I had ever driven her!  :D ... My better half was getting jealous at this point as ANN was getting more attention than she was, so I had that little go and tucked her back into the garage as I didn't know what mechanical issues there might be, and didn't fancy something breaking or the car not stopping due to the shoddy brakes! Plus, although I was loving the way it sounded like a muscle car when idling, it was worrying me too, so didn't want her running for too long like that. 

Another update tomorrow guys!  :)

Gurpal

Edited by GurpalD
Broken images

I need a VR6...

Haha I went from my Mk3 VR to my Mk5 GT TDI. On a daily, the MK5 is fantastic, but I really miss that VR grunt and noise. The VR lump in the Mk2 turns it into a whole new animal!  :D

another belting update

now making me thing about starting my caddy project

Cheers bud.

To be honest, it isn't the best time of year to be working on the car due to the shorter daylight hours, and cold weather...... But I love it  :D

Gurpal

Great build dude

Thanks bud  :) ... I've got another update coming later on tonight  ;)

Gurpal

That's not Maritime blue.

To be honest, I've googled the shade, and it doesn't quite match what's on the Porsche's. But I've seen Porsche's on there that are the exact same colour. I personally think that when the car was being painted from white to purple, I think they must have used Maritime blue as a base colour, and deviated from there to get the colour that's on it. 

I've had mixed views on the colour as it is a marmite colour. But I LOVE it, and I think it really suits the car. Plus, I know the chance of me seeing another out and about is highly unlikely  :)

I'm gonna start wet sanding the paint now, and try to restore it the best I can  :)

Gurpal

Didnt want to say anything but yep its not maritime blue.

I know this as my mate had his Nova painted in Porsche maritime blue back in the day and it was more blue than purple...

Looks good all the same though.

Didnt want to say anything but yep its not maritime blue.

I know this as my mate had his Nova painted in Porsche maritime blue back in the day and it was more blue than purple...

Looks good all the same though.

I think Maritime blue would have been a bit too much on a Mk2. If I was going for a blue on a Mk2, it would have to be bright blue metallic.. Awesome colour :)

Thanks for the comment bud :)

Gurpal