cupracraig

Pearl Grey MK2 GTI 20v OEM+

Been on the forum a little while, only really got into posting a few weeks back when the search began for my mk2 gti.

Previously ran a Mk6 TDI mapped to about 190bhp with a bluemotion front end, full unlocked Nav unit, lowered and hadthe Scirocco 19's. It was spot on for what i needed, just had a baby and it was safe, but fast and reliable. Pretty sure i had a build thread for it, but it must have gone.

15589834168_0bf3e70985_z.jpg

15408057812_027312a897_z.jpg

15183655539_6e7f314d7e_z.jpg

I was pretty happy with it, it was no show car, but got lots of attention for just being a clean, OEM looking VW.

So my sister needed to sell her Polo 1.8t due to doing a load more miles and asked to buy my car. it was the perfect opportunity to get a nice solid mk2 as my new daily! so i bit the bullet and did it.

Say hello to my new motor

21319479960_a1c6da7840_z.jpg

20975418444_b617528895_c.jpg

21592028275_375bc0c4d5_z.jpg

its a 1.8 8v - bags of history and all seems to match up nicely.

It needs some TLC - but in general its a solid little car. It made the trip home from up north with no real issues and has been running lovely.

Looking through the paperwork it seems like the previous owners have spent a fail old wedge in maintenance and upgrades. Some of the items didnt stand out during my viewing and purchase but have since been identified. Its running 256mm brake upgrades and a full stainless exhaust amongst other items. The long term owner was a doctor and he didnt mess about on keeping the thing tip top.

The interior is immaculate, the bolsters on the seats are all unmarked.

best part, its only done 108k miles. very happy!

Plans are to keep it looking as OEM+ as possible. New wheels - BBS RS 16 ideally....maybe some custom made BBS RA 16" 3 piece.

Its a look that's been done to death, but its one that i just really like.

Already spent £100 on parts today - so the build thread should grow nicely

Edited by cupracraig
title change

picked up an original tape deck - got sick of the awful Alpine unit so took it out on the drive into work (Sat in traffic) and will replace it later.

Radio reception is terrible too...so going to see how much to get rid of the Ariel and smooth it over. Might as well get the stone chips sorted at the same time.

21432029588_95c7251765_c.jpg

Gotta figure out this Clifford concept 300 alarm too, sick of it auto arming and the loud chirping noise..

The misses approves mind...so were onto a good thing

21619967895_cedc824aae_c.jpg

I saw some BBS RA's turned into 3 piece splits on instagram the other night, i need to track down the guy and find out how much they are to do

Edited by cupracraig

Looks like a good base mate. Not a show car, but has been well looked after and cared for. Pearl Grey is a beautiful colour too!

That was exactly how I bought mine. It needed bits and pieces doing, but was a solid reliable car. Actually, it's the only car i've owned that has never let me down. I did used to replace parts on it before they were even showing small signs of wear. 

Do you mind if I ask how much you got it for and where you saw it?

Here's a bit of Pearl Grey inspiration....... Jamie Simms built 1.8T, Tweed interior'd beauty!

_JL77500.jpg

_JL77467.jpg

212.jpg

DSC07167.jpg

I think the 3-Piece RA's were on a red Jetta? IIRC They were rebuilt to 17's. Nothing to say they can't be 16".

Looks like a good base mate. Not a show car, but has been well looked after and cared for. Pearl Grey is a beautiful colour too!

That was exactly how I bought mine. It needed bits and pieces doing, but was a solid reliable car. Actually, it's the only car i've owned that has never let me down. I did used to replace parts on it before they were even showing small signs of wear. 

Do you mind if I ask how much you got it for and where you saw it?

Here's a bit of Pearl Grey inspiration....... Jamie Simms built 1.8T, Tweed interior'd beauty!

I think the 3-Piece RA's were on a red Jetta? IIRC They were rebuilt to 17's. Nothing to say they can't be 16".

I hope to attend a few shows next year, not to enter into anything, but to have something that i'm happy to turn up in.

I got it up from Newcastle way, it was on car and classic for a couple weeks and the buyer got messed about. Everything looked good from the pictures he sent and the conversations that we had. I found a bargain flight so just went up to have a look and ended up coming home with it.

i've got a young family so id never get to build a show car, but if i can get it to be a really nice OEM+ example, then id be happy.

Some sweet pearl Grey examples about on the forum..lots to take inspiration from for sure :)

I hope to attend a few shows next year, not to enter into anything, but to have something that i'm happy to turn up in.

I got it up from Newcastle way, it was on car and classic for a couple weeks and the buyer got messed about. Everything looked good from the pictures he sent and the conversations that we had. I found a bargain flight so just went up to have a look and ended up coming home with it.

i've got a young family so id never get to build a show car, but if i can get it to be a really nice OEM+ example, then id be happy.

Some sweet pearl Grey examples about on the forum..lots to take inspiration from for sure :)

Sounds perfect, exactly how I bought mine. I went upto Scotland to get mine, but I was in daily conversation with the seller and lots and lots of photos.

OEM+ is where it's at!! That was always the plan for mine.

Lots of Pearl inspiration, it's a beautiful colour

so i heard a knock on the way to work yesterday from the exhaust, it was the rubber mounts failing. I knew they needed doing but didn't expect them to go then. The exhaust was being held up by the rear beam haha!

So i replaced the rubbers and normal service is resumed.. it actually sounds good again!

Replaced the wipers wile i was at it, the old ones were perished. I can see again!

Pressed plates arrived

Pedal rubbers arrived

Breaker bar arrived

Pry bars arrived

Haynes Manual arrived

valet brushes arrived

looking forward to getting my box of cleaning gear out on saturday and giving it a thorough going over.

Love it! I also have a pearl grey with recaros and 16 bbs rs which I bought a few months back. The best colour for a mk2 imho :)

Yours looks like a very tidy example, im very Interested to see how this develops!

had a small spending spree over the last week. Ordered the following:

Replacement Hella Headlights (the inner reflective covering was all peeling away)

New bulbs for all front lights

Replacement pedal rubbers

replacement gear knob as the one i had is split

Replacement gear gator

Fuel tank straps - will need doing eventually anyway

Currently tracking down some re-enforced exhaust rubbers - the way that they mounted the stainless system on my car is very poor and its prone to breaking the rubbers, which has happened twice now. So the chain re-enforced ones should cure that problem. Alternatively i remove the system and do some work on the mounts on both the car and the pipe itself..... but that's a last resort.

Plans over the next couple of weekends are to replace items with the above purchased items and to get the heat gun out out and treat the bumbers. they are slightly faded, so a blow over and some kiwi black leather shoe polish followed by a sealant should cure that problem.

Also need to decide if i'm going to replace the standard stereo or put in my old CD player.

The alloys look to have been done by someone at home...probably not worth restoring at this point, so on the look out for new wheels

Next on the list...speakers all round.

a few pics of it on the weekend...its in desperate need of a full detail

21757402526_9e90d18b07_c.jpg

21771807652_b9d1ec6b59_b.jpg

It might be worth looking at the Powerflex exhaust rubbers.

Iirc they have a metal band, similar to a chain. They are way too thick to fit, but if cut in half (length ways) should do the job.

I'm sure ive got a couple that were attempted to be fitted, but didn't in the end.

PM me your address and I will have a look tonight. I can't remember if I sold them with the Jetex system, but will let you know.

powerflex-exhaust-mount-universal-273557

This is what I am meaning. If you cut a small section from each side, you will leave the metal band intact.

Edited by Sixteen™

It might be worth looking at the Powerflex exhaust rubbers.

Iirc they have a metal band, similar to a chain. They are way too thick to fit, but if cut in half (length ways) should do the job.

I'm sure ive got a couple that were attempted to be fitted, but didn't in the end.

PM me your address and I will have a look tonight. I can't remember if I sold them with the Jetex system, but will let you know.

powerflex-exhaust-mount-universal-273557

This is what I am meaning. If you cut a small section from each side, you will leave the metal band intact.

ah thanks man, but don't worry about sending anything, its cost for you and i think i've sourced some of the Audi chain re-enforced mounts - for the moment i am using Halfrauds ones with cable ties to keep them tight. Bodge i know, but will have to do for the week

thinking of changing the mount on the actual exhaust as that will make like a load easier. Damn aftermarket parts!

I've used the powerflex exhaust bushes good but ripped my rear exhaust mount out haha

LOL, thinking of just fabricating a new mount that suits the way the exhaust one currently sits. Its a poor design on the exhaust, but i dont have a welder and its easier to make something that bolts into the cars current mounting point

ah thanks man, but don't worry about sending anything, its cost for you and i think i've sourced some of the Audi chain re-enforced mounts - for the moment i am using Halfrauds ones with cable ties to keep them tight. Bodge i know, but will have to do for the week

thinking of changing the mount on the actual exhaust as that will make like a load easier. Damn aftermarket parts!

No problem mate, there here if you change your mind.

Don't worry about the postage, I can send them through work.

A few years ago I used an old metro one (rear exhaust rubber) and it's a half moon shape, and just welded a bar of the rear box , was good as gold , and it fits in the hole between the original bracket and bumper,like this one ,

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Metro-exhaust-mounting-pack-of-10-free-post-/131485621633?nav=SEARCH , then washer and nut on top , hidden ,

Edited by Tentontim

Been looking online and im really not sure what wheels to go for. 

BBS RS are obviously the easy choice but 16" are harder to find and silly money ({mince tax} i assume) although they are the desired wheel.

Been looking into the cost of stepping up a 15" version and there doesn't really seem to be much point due to those costs.

Custom 3 piece wheels seem to cost an absolute fortune too. Shame, as i saw some gorgeous 3 piece BBS RA wheels on Instagram a while back that would suit the car down perfectly.

Any recommendations? 

also looking at a set of these:

https://www.dpmperformance.co.uk/car-parts/volkswagen/golf/ap-coilover-suspension-kitgolf-2-10-13-16-16d-16td-18-8v-18-16v-18-g60-fwd-0883

AP Coilovers...dont want to go mad as i eventually want air ride just for the convenience of getting on and off the drive and driving about bristol without smashing the underneath of the car to bits