cupracraig

Pearl Grey MK2 GTI 20v OEM+

Just now, SatinVR6 said:

Much better.  How much fun was it taking that stump out?

ah so i made good use of my trolley jack for that! i cut as many roots as i could see then i got a metal bar as far under as i could then jacked it up, eventually it loosened it and it came out.. much easier on the spine :)

lovely car !!! i was going to 20vt mine but now prices are starting to rise i decided against it. yours looks like it left the factory like that !

4 hours ago, j11ukc said:

lovely car !!! i was going to 20vt mine but now prices are starting to rise i decided against it. yours looks like it left the factory like that !

thanks dude :) it'll get more OEM looking as time passes

• Like 1

Well, figured i had better pull my finger out or i'm not going to be driving it this year. 

so i thought the MOT tester was full of poo when he said there was an oil leak... he might have been right... cam cover gasket was a bit brittle when i removed it, so cleaned it up and inspected the cams which looked good. Just prepping the cover for some black paint.

31963714687_59be2e34d8_c.jpg

• Like 3

god damn hard line for the coolant that runs along the side and front of the engine has a slight leak, seems to be slowly wheeping so that'll need replacing... but thats a fairly ballache job as all the inlet Plenum has to come off etc to get good access.

still... get it replaced with a new part and thats one less potential failure point... last thing i want is to drop a load of boiling coolant during a long trip

Saturday afternoon got busy!

Intercooler out (need to make up some good brackets for that again as i didn't like how it was sat at an angle before)

cooling system out - getting completely replaced

Alternator and bracket - out to be refurbished.

46060043605_56405ba6d1_c.jpg

33098310628_6100285730_c.jpg

33098292678_b4c9f4a17c_c.jpg

This is the offending pipe!

32032595637_63abd2be8d_c.jpg

32032584967_fbb76a21a5_c.jpg

46921775452_b61d626948_c.jpg

The near side of the engine has a coolant housing that the temp sensor goes into, so i whipped that off while i clean up the engine of all the muck and grease, as it came of, the rubber o'ring came away in 2 pieces..so that's likely where the little dribble of coolant has come from and possibly not the pipe in the pictures above, but that needs replacing anyway.

33098308058_2fd0a59500_c.jpg

Going to fit a catch can so whipped out all the oil breather pipes, the one that goes into the block obviously split as it came out..just brittle. so ordered a new part there, that will go into a silicon pipe to a catch can and then one from the cam cover to the catch can...then delete the PCV (puck) valve.

33098312238_bac5aceaf6_c.jpg

then took out the alternator and the bracket behind it that supports the power steering pump. I'll sand them back and clear coat them... not sure how to restore the alternator yet though but just want that back to OEM looking and clear coated.

loads of cleaning to do! should be a good week for progress

• Like 1

Another busy weekend pushing on with the car.

Finished cleaning up the cam cover, masked up ready to paint

47006676772_5099a6c647_c.jpg

47058845021_9309697939_c.jpg

Idle pulley bearing was rough so took that apart, cleaned up all the aluminium, chemically treated it and then cleaned again and clear coated it... i also did this with the bracket on the front of the engine for the alternator

40093915733_cd44c7b02a_c.jpg

Took the bearing out thinking i could just replace it... looks like its easier to just replace the assembaly

47006655022_3a79891568_c.jpg

Stripped the alternator to check the bearings as it sounded a bit gritty..

47058832381_30435f4208_c.jpg

Outer shaft bearing in the casing is all good... inner is gritty..Part number for it in pic. ordered a new bearing and will replace that.

46145149375_93d584b6b1_c.jpg

did loads more cleaning up of the alternator casing, i will clear coat this when done.

and put some of it back in to get an idea of how its looking.

47059180371_dfa1d42466_c.jpg

Like the finish on the rocker mate, 

Would be good to come see the car one day as you're not far from me (if you haven't moved)

Look forward to seeing more

19 minutes ago, waj27 said:

Like the finish on the rocker mate, 

Would be good to come see the car one day as you're not far from me (if you haven't moved)

Look forward to seeing more

standard crackle black, might get it powdercoated at some point but it'll look nice for now.

yeah man that'll be good. theres usually a meet in north Bristol (cribbs causeway area) once a month.. summer is good for it as a fair few come!

21 minutes ago, cupracraig said:

standard crackle black, might get it powdercoated at some point but it'll look nice for now.

yeah man that'll be good. theres usually a meet in north Bristol (cribbs causeway area) once a month.. summer is good for it as a fair few come!

You thinking of an engine change?

Yeah keen for a summer meet give me a shout when you're next going and i'll defiantly  come even if mine isn't on the road.

12 minutes ago, waj27 said:

You thinking of an engine change?

Yeah keen for a summer meet give me a shout when you're next going and i'll defiantly  come even if mine isn't on the road.

well i want some work done like getting the engine bay painted up and looking fresh, so it might be a good time to change engine. might still be a 1.8t but i'd like to have the engine and box out to get fully stripped, dipped, painted and built back up again

New bearing arrived for the alternator and i have replaced that, just waiting on some fresh screws to secure the housing together as the old ones had soft ends.

New Aux belt pulley arrived and put on the car so that should not make noise like it used to.

Refurbished metal coolant pipe added back onto the car with new silicon o-ring

New upper (head) coolant outlet added with new seal

Then i saw this:

47048935792_5ee9060dfe_c.jpg

47048935872_18916719aa_c.jpg

looks like the gearbox is 100% coming out .. time to replace and get one painted up

Edited by cupracraig
  • Like 1

ive never seen that before. :blink:

what engine mount you running up front? 

2 minutes ago, natedogg said:

ive never seen that before. :blink:

what engine mount you running up front? 

i know! i couldn't even see it on google! its a g60 front one, its the correct part number. i have a feeling that the gearbox might have had a hairline fracture in it and its just been exposed by a non standard bolt, perhaps over tightened...and then driving on it

• Like 1

wow. im worried now as have a poly front going in my vento and have had a bodge the mk3 starter to accommodate the mk4 bolts etc

11 minutes ago, natedogg said:

wow. im worried now as have a poly front going in my vento and have had a bodge the mk3 starter to accommodate the mk4 bolts etc

mmm we love a bodge mind.

this is just a good excuse to get a new used box blasted and painted up nicely..

• Like 1

its ok, spoke to an engineering friend and it can be welded and some additional support added to it no problem, better get it out the car then