Sign in to follow this  
technics

Mk2 Golf GTI (1.8 20Valve Turbo project)

Hi everyone, been on here for a few months and bought a Mk 2 Golf GTI with alot of work already done as im not that knowledgable under the bonnet and not very good at getting my hands dirty.

So a few good mods on the car are:

Auq 1.8t (180bhp)

Qpeng downpipe

Jetex exhaust system

Carbonio air filter

Front mount intercooler

Stealth Racing remap (228bhp print out)

Corrado pedal box/hydraulic clutch

02j gearbox

Full Eibach ARB kit

Peloquin diff

Weitec coilovers

G60 brakes

Power steering

Electric recaros

Probably a few other bits but thats the bulk of it. There a many niggles to deal with and I want to make it cosmetically mint too. I have already done:

Genuine thermostat

Genuine oil filter

Oil change with Millers CFS Nano

New Sony headunit as old Kenwood one did not work

JL audio Sub

Apline amp

New ITG foam air filter with cold air feed

New rubber mounts/brackets for exhaust

Ive ordered a few more parts from VW heritage but will stock pile parts until the new year and get it all done in one or 2 goes. I like to see a big impact when I get parts put on.

GolfProject%20018_zpstepct6zf.jpg

GolfProject%20019_zpsflxzaued.jpg

GolfProject%20009_zpswk68ytjk.jpg

Ontop of the few maintanence jobs ive already done its going to be cosmetic mainly, new wheels and tyres, new grill, lights, number plates, new dash bulbs and a really good polish and wax on the bodywork. Close up cosmetically its a bit grubby and when I got it and even now there are quite a few things that dont work.

Also obviosly keep ontop of maintenence and servicing etc.

So time for an update. Had the car nearly 6 months already and all ive done is a few maintenance jobs which are listed in my first original post and just recently some rust work right at the rear of the car where the jacking point are, was quite bad actually but got rid of all the rust and had some plates welding in and all weather proofed etc. Car is now pretty much rust free.

I have been stockpiling parts though, this is waht I usually do and then fit and hand full of parts in one go. Once the weather is more settled I will spend a day or so detailing/polishing etc.......

Will update with more pics once the car has been fitted of all parts and cleaned up. Then I think this is pretty much done to be honest will just be keeping on top of it and maintaining/servicing etc.

As it stands:

GolfProject%20011_zpszunrgwra.jpg

Whats getting fitted this week:

GolfProject%20007_zpsu4webrdk.jpg

GolfProject%20006_zps66frcmxd.jpg

20160224_203655_zpshm5uqzti.jpg

20160225_203540_zpscuaiuf5q.jpg

Thanks, Maurizio.

Not a HID kit, wanted more oem look so its osram nighbreaker bulbs all round and a heavy duty uprated headlight loom for better voltage, plus new lights all round hopefully be perfect...

UPDATE:

All of this was fitted a while back:

GolfProject%20006_zps66frcmxd.jpg

BEFORE:

GolfProject%20020_zpslytvirjs.jpg

AFTER:

20160607_101739_zpsfgxweqzx.jpg

BEFORE:

GolfProject%20007_zpsd1caqgvu.jpg

AFTER:

20160607_101938_zpsgjsqnunu.jpg

BEFORE:

GolfProject%20002_zpsthd8enmx.jpg

AFTER:

20160614_230855_zpsmhzuaxw5.jpg

BEFORE:

GolfProject%20028_zpsf6teubok.jpg

AFTER:

20160225_203540_zpscuaiuf5q.jpg

BEFORE:

Terrible light output, horrible old skool colour bulbs, faded grill and old foggy weathered lights

GolfProject%20012_zpsx323u3we.jpg

AFTER:

New osram bulbs with uprated headlight loom, new OE front grill and new Hella lights, spot lights and fog lights with lightly smoked indicators.

20160614_210055_zpsjzf5lp1z.jpg

Huge improvement at night for light output, one of the best upgrades ive made for this car.

20160614_230859_zpsesxzjtxl.jpg

20160614_230836_zpsuzspxr7y.jpg

For the bumpers i tries Gtechniq C4 and I was 90% happy, I thought the finish could of been a little darker and quite a fussy product and one of the most expensive I came across. The front bumper didnt come out well though but I think I wasnt thorough enough with the prep.

Some pics of the rear that came out good (90% happy)

051_zpsr02yhdux.jpg

And the front that didnt come out so well and looked similar to when I started:
054_zps59wuhire.jpg

Then I came across another product that a few people were raving about called Solution Finish so thought I may aswell try that on the front as that needs to be sorted out anyway, but once I done the front it was so good and it was a lovely OE finish I basically had to restart the whole car by cleaning and prepping so I could do it all with Solution Finish.
Cheaper and easier to use.

BEFORE:
20160619_120558_zpsnnynyzjw.jpg

AFTER:
20160619_145626_zpsogpuswcj.jpg

Changed the Golf GTI badge on the rear and got some custom made 20v badges for the rear and the dash

20160607_101759_zpspknaie0w.jpg

20160607_101920_zpsepzuhqd7.jpg

So all together now with a good deep clean, polish and wax im very happy with it, thats the bulk of the work done, just a couple more niggles to do but almost not worth talking about, and everything on the car works too.

BEFORE:
GolfProject%20018_zpstepct6zf.jpg

AFTER:
20160619_145632_zpsqfahahvt.jpg
20160605_100115_zpss5fkeaui.jpg

Thanks for looking!

M

timeless! Looks like you had a good result with the bumpers in the end, do they look as good in real life as they do on the photos?

Any interior plans of are you leaving untouched?

What a difference! Need me some of the solution finish!!!!!

Thanks all for the comments, appreciate it.

Yes the bumpers in the flesh do look that good! Amazing product and cheaper and easier to use than the Gtechniq range.

With Solution Finish I used a dish brush from Wilko to clean the bumpers with GS101 and then a wipe over with IPA, then just follow the solution finish instructions and must be kept dry for around 4 hours once you finish. Highly recommended product and lasts around 12 months.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone.

Interior will probably stay as it is, electric UV Recaros. Probably just a wet vac sometime soon.

Did consider a Momo steering wheel but not that fussed really.......we'll see.

Car looks fantastic mate B)

The transformation on the bumper is unbelievable too, going to have to get some of that.