LewDeak

First car - 52' Lupo SE JDO

Hello Guys!

Have been meaning to start a build thread for ages now... so after near on two years of "i'll sort one soon" I've finally got round to making one  :)

I've always wanted a cool car, something that can be made to look wicked, and represent what you're about. So when choosing my first car, i had 3 main cars in mind. These were either the 6N2 Polo, MK2 Golf on the 6N2 Lupo. i was fairly limited on budget, so this ended up ruling out a MK2 Golf for me, a car i would like to get hold of in the future however. So after loads of searching around, i was pretty adamant that the car i wanted was a Lupo. (Decided that i'd like to look at getting a 6N2 Polo GTI once i can actually afford the insurance...)

So after a little bit of looking around, i got word of a fairly clean little Lupo that was up for sale at work. So on June 9th 2014, i bought my first Lupo, JDO. Here he is!

ijfsdknfdiojfs_zpsq5dubwuv.jpeg

image%202_zpssgc9toku.jpeg

image_zpspypxi3fb.jpeg

Was fairly happy with the condition of JDO when i bought Him, had a few age related marks here and there such as trolley dents, dings etc, and was also on fairly low miles at the time (62400) with two owners from new! Bonus was it was in Fresco green, the colour i wanted most! But was mint as first cars go! 

Now i must mention, this car has been quite a big learning curve for me. i've always been around cars, they've been a massive part of my life and family. However, up until getting JDO, i had had next to no hands on experience with working on cars, so i have had to teach myself a fair bit about how things work etc, and how nothing is ever as easy as you might think it is, hence why it has taken me quite a while to get JDO to his current state, even though it's nothing massive by any means...

Anyway, back to the build!

So on the second week of owning JDO, i bought myself a set of brand new 14" Passat Steelies to replace the standard Monza rims, and a set of 25mm Eibach drop springs, as well as a new set of front struts and rear dampers, as the originals were long past their best....

Cleaned it to within an inch of it's life too. And also decided to make it look a bit smoother by dropping the rubbing strips on the doors / rear quarters.

image%205_zpsom5bx99k.jpeg

image%204_zpseucu2amv.jpeg

And by the 9th of August, i finally got to put JDO on the road. Picked a pretty awesome car to learn with, i love it. Everything was perfect! For all of two weeks, until the coil pack decided it no longer needed to work anymore. :angry:

image%2011_zpsrrgpfcu1.jpeg

Two days later, i had him back on the road, and ran it like this for probably 4-5 months.

image%203_zps8cxmxjpm.jpeg

By my 18th birthday, i'd had enough of the steelies, and wanted something a bit better looking. Now i'd always wanted a set of BBS RS Splits, however they are (as i discovered) quite expensive. So i gave my parents half the money towards a set of Lenso BSX Rims. (BBS Reps, please don't hate me ;)) This was great, but now they looked lost on the car due to the massive ride height, so that had too change.

IMG_0128_zps6goz4nyu.jpg

IMG_0138_zpspnvwndfn.jpg

I think by about March time 2015 i bought myself a set of Apex 40mm Drop springs, this made it look a lot better than before! I then ran JDO on them for about 2 months, all was going perfectly well! Until the pedal box decided to collapse and render the clutch useless  :( Took me two weeks to get this problem sorted! what an absolute nightmare it was to change!

IMG_0127_zpsb2aksnys.jpg

Since then, i've not had one problem with it! Well other than deciding to put what i assumed to be scrap petrol (left overs we get at work occasionally) in it, which turned out to be a mix of Diesel and petrol, as i found out after driving him about 50m before he started to die and conk out.  :wacko: Sharn't be making that mistake again... :huh:

Oh and also the passenger side hub, Which for months i assumed was a bent subframe causing the massive camber problems (Photo should illustrate the problem) after being told time and time again that you can't bend a cast hub. The hub was bent by almost 10mm.... One trip to the breakers and one Polo 9N Hub later and it was all sorted!  ;)

IMG_0131_zpsl2exqkv5.jpg

So from i think May/June JDO Ran on the 40mm Apex's quite happily until November, when i decided again that he just wasn't low enough. So after much research on ClubLupo etc, it became apparent that coil overs were the next best option. After looking through possible options, my friend Tom (Tom-Uk) recommended that i look into getting a set of AP Coilovers. Best decision i ever made buying a set of them, they're awesome.

Opening a box of coilovers is awesome. I was literally like these two guys and they're KFC :P

kfc-5558b2924618a%201_zps50jcz724.gif

So JDO went from being about 3" too high to being almost spot on.

IMG_0189_zpsbvkzbjhm.jpg

IMG_5409_zpsfs44psjz.jpg

IMG_5629_zpssoddykkm.jpg

And i ran him like that until about a week ago, when i decided that he needs to be a bit lower,again. So i decided to roll my arches, well the rears at least....

IMG_5902_zpsdwc4wbld.jpg

This went ok, just a bit gutted that i managed to crack some of the paint under the arches... :angry: I know you can't really see it, but that's not the point.... another job for another day now!

So now we are at the present day. I took the rear adjusters out on friday to drop the rear, all i need to do now is to roll the front arches to allow for some more lowering! and my new wheels, decided to get myself a set of Stuttgart ST7's! hoping these make JDO look even better! Will update asap!  :)

image%207_zpsnr0j30ou.jpeg

image%206_zpsrehqwiba.jpeg

Nice detailed build dude. Cars looking good! Can't say I've ever seen that colour before either :)

Cheers man! Been wanted to start a thread for a while! This is a fairly rare colour for the Lupo, it was only availible on the SE Models for just under a year, hence why it's fairly rare!

Btw don't know how i'vem managed to copy what you've just wrote, i've never really used forums before so still getting used to it hahaha

Bout time you posted this up. Love how much you under played how long it took us to work out it was the upright bent!

keep it up man!

@dubjunkie I really don't know why I did either to be honest... always thought in my head "that'll look low enough" but soon realised the error of my ways hahaha! Not sure how long i'll have the love heart sticker on there for now as I have been thinking about losing it...

@Tom-uk Yeah I should've detailed that upright saga a bit more.... took many many hours of measurements to figure out it was about as straight as a fishing hook :P

IMG_6008_zpsgtloenb4.jpg

Ok, so I finally have a half decent photo of the current state of JDO. New wheels should be here next week hopefully! Plan to drop the front asap as It needs a good 15mm further dropping... Desperately need to roll my front arches now however, can't really do much with the ride height until then!

So i JDO's new shoes arrived on friday... Can't wait to get them on!!!

image_zpsu5hklpoc.jpeg

image_zpsncry3qfr.jpeg

@tom-uk Hahaha don't worry they will be, they'll be going on on Wednesday morn!

So, I finally have my new Stuttgart ST7's under the car, i'm really happy with the way they look! Need to look at having the rears flared slightly as the tyres have been catching on the arches slightly :( Front will also need doing fairly soon as I need to drop it asap.... But so far so good, JDO is really starting to come along now! (Will have some decent photo's soon I promise)

image_zpsmyaqkegg.jpeg

image_zpslsltmff9.jpeg

@tom-uk That's the plan! Will they even fit on your MK2? :lol:

Important note. If you ever decide to roll your archers yourself, make sure you roll enough of it. Because that "rubbing" turned out to be this:

image_zpsljnnjdhi.jpeg

image_zpsg3wtalpp.jpeg

image_zpsek1xysks.jpeg

1428505314-jcvd-3_zpsnsrxf4ib.gif

So not the happiest guy on earth right now.

Yeah, not good. So I got that sorted out straight away, not overly happy as the arches look really rough now... Will need some more attention to them soon.

Heat gun and a mallet, had it sorted in 20 mins! Think next time I roll arches on a car i'll invest in a decent roller, not a cheap nasty one from China like I bought...

image_zpsmpueoypr.jpeg

image_zpsqfnd97yx.jpeg

I do now at least have some decent photo's of JDO! Coming along nicely!

image_zpsiypd6qkl.jpeg

image_zps7ha1frew.jpeg

image_zps1rtaghpu.jpeg

@low leon Cheers man! Wanted to go with a colour scheme that you never really see, glad it worked haha!

@DeanH I do still have them, I will message you :D

wheelwhores sticker on the front, please lose it!

Carr looks lovely and clean otherwise..

It's going to be going don't worry hahaha, have been meaning to get round to losing a lot of them, planning on doing it on my next big cleaning session as it's well due!

Really nice work so far mate, is it fresco green? Always liked that colour 

Cheers man! Yes it is, shame it wasn't available for that long! was only sold on the SE models, hence why it's not that common!