Sign in to follow this  
patmore

Mk2 jetta front engine mount issue

Hi all I have recently put a 20vt in my mk2 but I don't know what bolts to use on my front engine mount? 

I'm issuing an 02A DPA gearbox from an ABF, and my original bolts are too short, and the ABF bolts are too fat, 

Edited by patmore

Yer my original mk2 ones are too short and the new ones are a bigger thread so they don't screw into to mount

Which mount are you using? The Mk2 one won't be any good obviously. Think you need a Corrado one, but I'm sure someone will know for sure..

If I use the corrado one will I need to change the crossmember? Or get a solid engine mount ? Also what's the difference?

I thought you needed to match the mounting bracket to the gearbox that you were using, so you would need an 02A bracket - surprised the bolts that came with it don't fit.

The difference is in the angle of the bracket where it sits on the mount on the front cross-member. I think the Corrado G60 one has the correct angle to use a standard Mk2 front mount.

Some info in this thread:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5321561-Trying-to-locate-G60-front-engine-mount-bracket 

As far as the bracket goes, you need to use one off a vehicle that came with an 02a.

That can be mk2 g60, corrado 16v/g60. You can use that bracket with a standard mk2 crossmember and rubber mounting. 

Alternatively you can get a mk3 TDi or ABF front bracket and either use a corrado VR6 crossmember and rubber mount, OR just use a 'mk2 vr6' solid conversion mount off eBay on the mk2 crossmember. This option is stronger, easier to source and usually cheaper to be fair. 

Edited by spuey

So your Mk2 bracket is for an 020 gearbox, yes? No good for current conversion.

The other bracket came with the Gearbox ? which based on it coming from an ABF means Mk3 Golf.

So, bin Mk2 bracket. Mk3 bracket can only be used with solid VR6 conversion mount as mentioned above. If you want to retain standard mount you need to source a front bracket from Mk2 G60 or Corrado 16v/G60.

Yer the mk2 one is from 020, that's what I'll use, cheers dude I've ordered some bolts from eBay now so hopefully with the mk2 mount it should work