Sign in to follow this  
Eric

Ericccccc's Oak Green

Since I was 15 I wanted a MK2 GTI. Soon after I turned 30 and after a good 6 months of searching I found an Oak Green 16v in pretty good condition.

The car was way out of my budget, but it was rust free, had a respray a few years back but it was in decent nick. I was probably not going to get better for what I originally wanted to spend.

This was it when I first picked it up. Pretty standard  as far as I could see. The car was looked after but there was some really bad bodged jobs. Dodgy wiring, welding on the exhaust and a few other things.

TlOXA7F.jpg

I had to get the car on the ramp to do the exhaust which was welded together in about 7 different pieces from whatever the previous owner could find I guess. It was blowing from every one of the cut-and-shut joints. The new system was ok but I'm booked in for a customer system soon to get rid of the amount of exhaust clamps needed.

24ixWKi.jpg

The car needed a serious clean. I dedicated a few weekends to a good wash, polish, clay and wax.

The paint came up nicely I think

STxXZuW.jpg

rSQyMxQ.jpg

Next thing was pulling of the front end and redoing the wiring (with some help from my sisters boyfriend)

It was a mess.

dZnL7w0.jpg

After everything mechanically was sound (or so I thought) I wanted new wheels and suspension. I trailed fitted some friends RM's - 16x8 all round. This gave me a good indication of what I could and couldn't get. I've been a huge fan of TH MONO's forever, so I found a recently refurbed set on Ebay for a good price and ordered them.

aCz9JJG.jpg

AQ7graT.png

Got the family involved with waxing them before fitting.

JnFOyPL.jpg

Now for the coilovers. Full set of AP's

Before an after of the drop.

uVAon7q.jpg

xDYOmFE.jpg

tFAXDWY.jpg

2 break downs in a month. Thermostate went and I some how managed to snap my front Engine mount bracket.

e6dgFsb.jpg

Some shots of the car how it sits now, including the interior, after I installed my new Suede Nardi.

DhlrWh8.jpg

L7xo3YE.jpg

zcnT52J.jpg

This weekend, I also painted my Grille Strip. I've never been a big fan of the double lamps and these were removed the first week I got the car. But I needed the paint the Red Strip on this single lamp grille, so I tackled this myself.

Juk1vIS.jpg

Next on the list of things to conquer;

- New callipers, pads & discs all round. Done

- New Rocker cover and Inlet (powdered coat in black)

- ABF Conversion 

- Wheels (again)  Cancelled 

Cheers

Eric

Edited by Eric

Thanks mate. The BBS are in the garage still. They need a nice refurb. They're too nice to sell, so I'll keep these for winter and just to keep as part of the collection

Nice mate, I miss my old oak green, such a classy colour!

The wheels look great, and ap's ride great for the money, I had them on mine too.

Nice mate, I miss my old oak green, such a classy colour!

The wheels look great, and ap's ride great for the money, I had them on mine too.

I have to be honest, I was after an Alpine White. But since owning this, the Oak Green is the ultimate I think.

I've had a few people in the car now, on long journeys. All have been surprised how comfortable it is. Glad I didn't cheap out on Coilovers.

Car looks awesome dude!

Thank you mate :)

I have to be honest, I was after an Alpine White. But since owning this, the Oak Green is the ultimate I think.

I've had a few people in the car now, on long journeys. All have been surprised how comfortable it is. Glad I didn't cheap out on Coilovers.

Looks like a winner mate, and so good on the TH's, I'm really missing having a MK2 at the moment!

AP's are great, have had them on my Corrado for ages and can't fault them

Looks like a winner mate, and so good on the TH's, I'm really missing having a MK2 at the moment!

AP's are great, have had them on my Corrado for ages and can't fault them

TH's are a timeless classic I think. Definitely go hand-in-hand on a Mk2. I didn't want it to be another mk2 on Rs/Rm's, but I am tempted with a set of RFs at the minute as I've always loved the 5 spoke look.

BBS_RF_BM_E36_Touring_Wagon_05.jpg

Image also do some lovely stuff and their BB5 range looks like a nice contender

image-wheels-bb5-14-500x500.jpg

Edited by Ericccccccc

Looks lovely mate, big fan of the wheels (though I am biased!) 

Ah awesome. Same guy from IG right?

Yeah you car - Alpine White on Mono's is so perfect. Literally my dream combo. 

TH's are a timeless classic I think. Definitely go hand-in-hand on a Mk2. I didn't want it to be another mk2 on Rs/Rm's, but I am tempted with a set of RFs at the minute as I've always loved the 5 spoke look.

Image also do some lovely stuff and their BB5 range looks like a nice contender

I had TH's on my Corrado too, great wheels.

Yeah I love 5 spoke's, RF's, OZ Fittipaldi's and I have Modena's to go on my Rado now lol

I had TH's on my Corrado too, great wheels.

Yeah I love 5 spoke's, RF's, OZ Fittipaldi's and I have Modena's to go on my Rado now lol

I'd love a set of OZ Vega's. I'm really torn between a 5 spoke and the weave pattern :lol:

This looks sweet. Always liked oak green. 5 door mk2s look so much better in dark colours.

I was never keen on 5drs at first but they have really grown on me. 

Ah awesome. Same guy from IG right?

Yeah you car - Alpine White on Mono's is so perfect. Literally my dream combo. 

Yeah thats me...

Thanks mate. Hopefully have her back on the road soon. 

I had 16" futuras on my Oaky, should never have got rid of those!

17's do look great tho.

17s looks good on 90spec big bumper models

They do. Going to need some serious arch work though

16/04/2017

Decided I needed to get some interior bits done. I had a bad rattle between my centre console and dashboard. The console needed to come out have some padding applied to the top and also have the console realigned when installed.

ejH9v2Q.jpg

There was a tone of crap behind the console. Dirt, old installation was falling apart and a tonne of dust. This got all cleared out and the carpet was still in good condition

The other area was how tired the centre console was looking. It was pretty dirty faded. I'd been thinking about buying a new one for a while but the price of them are so excessive for what they are. It really just needed a good clean.

I used some of Carbon Collectives new Platinum Trim stuff to bring it back to life. This stuff is the real deal by the way. It did wonders on my bumpers also.

Before:

GzbOq2S.jpg

After:

MbOHhFX.jpg

Much better.

Edited by Ericccccccc

21/04/2017

The MK2 has gone passed the point of being a practical daily. So I’ve picked up a lovely MK4 1.8T for my run around (photos below)

Age is definitely starting to catch up on the MK2 and using it every day is starting to take its toll. I’ve got a new bumper and splitter on order, amongst a few other bits, to be ready for Early Edition. I’ll post up some photos once I have everything fitted and working again.

zzMjvWr.jpg

cZ4ykFo.jpg

9u1rSMp.jpg

Edited by Ericccccccc

Smart looking daily. Mk2s aren't really a daily anymore, something to be appreciated at weekends etc

If I kept it completely standard on the RM's it would have been okay I think. But I will definitely enjoy it more on the sunny weekend days for sure.

It gives me time to also take it apart and not have to worry about not having another car

Dispite the gremlins mate you got a fine example there. When mines done it'll be daily in the summer. Is she 8v or 16v?

Dispite the gremlins mate you got a fine example there. When mines done it'll be daily in the summer. Is she 8v or 16v?

I wanted to run mine all throughout summer everyday but it just isn't practical. It's a 16v though

I ran my 20v for 6months last year as a daily, absolutely loved every minute of it.... apart from when the speedo stopped working, dash lights stopped working, snapped the plastic catch on my happich windows, heater matrix went .... but yeah loved it :lol: the mk4 looks nice mate! How long until you start modifying that too? :D