Sign in to follow this  
jamieprang

Mk2 caddy Tdi Van.

Hi all

New to the forum. First car project. Done a couple of bikes over the years. But never a car as such. And now I've got two... caddy and a mk3. And sort of a T5.

Ok, I've got myself a 04 plate, 9k shape TDI Mk2 Caddy van. Bought it cheap (300) as a long term fixer up. But man oh man what it didn't need when I had it looked over... 950 quid at the garage later... and its fully MOT'd and ready for my attention.

IMG_8938.jpg

The previous "owner" (read - butcher) used it in a lumber mill and ran it on veg oil. So it was coated in tree sap and cooking oil. Not sure why he was pouring the oil into the drivers area instead of the fuel tank.... something I don't know about how the combustion engine works I suppose.  

Anyway. Several days and many MANY cans of Mr Muscle oven cleaner later (it was all that would cut into the dirt) I got the worst of the grime off. Not TOO bad underneath. Needs plenty of body work and attention thought. The carpet is shot thanks to the in cab combustion engine oil application... :angry:  :angry:  :angry: .. it will not clean, even had a steam cleaning company come out and try that and the seats. Lost cause. New carpet ordered and on its way, will fit that when it arrives. On the hunt for seats that I like and will fit without too much messing around.

The bodywork I will attempt to tart up myself with rattle cans and a machine polisher for the time being. Could use the practise anyway. Whats the worst that could happen..  Some time in the future tho, when maybe funds will allow... a respray will happen. Its in the queue behind my mk3 golf though. Couple of parts might need some welding... i'll see how brave I feel and maybe try that too.. New rear door ordered and fitted as the old one hade a HUGE dent in it. So I got a white SDI rear door. Will have to remove and blank the window wiper though. (welding... )

IMG_8941.jpg

IMG_8937.jpg

IMG_8957.jpg

Everything required for the "flip" is ordered. Including a new axle so I can just make that ready to fit. Swap them over and then sell on the old one.

Considering a set of Cordoba electric mirrors I've found for sale in the interweb. I believe that they are a fairly simple swap?

Doors don't lock. At all. I believe that's quite common? Still to investigate properly.

In short... lots to get done. But I have to say I love my little van. Even in its current state.

And the mk3 which will be getting some sort of treatment soon to...

IMG_8865.jpg

Thanks already to Luke Mk3. I didn't realise photobucket still worked! Quality loophole man!

All comments and mild abuse welcome!

Just got home from work at sea... apparently Santa has been to the household... that explains why the Mrs was complaining so much... it didn't seem like so much stuff when I ordered it... 

IMG_9256.JPG

• Like 1

Job one. Ye'olde axle flip. 

Bought a spare axle. Which had already been flipped. My intention is it clean it up. Treat any rust and paint it. Then remove my one and put the new one on. Sell the original one on fleabay. Just to minimise the van downtime as I use it quite a lot. 

Wire brushed the life out of it until the Mrs got home and decided it was knocking off time... i disputed this but she tricked me into the house with beer and pizza. Sigh! 

Can anyone tell me what the piece of curved metal is in my hand in the 2nd last photo? One of them on each side and that one fell off. Can't for the life of me figure out what purpose it serves. 

Also, my new compressor arrived... and is already on its way back to Machine mart. Seems to work fine... except the crankshaft end cover blows off like a missile at about 9bar.. that can't be right. But Machine Mart have been brilliant about it. Sending a courier to collect it and investigate. 

IMG_9267.JPG

IMG_9268.JPG

IMG_9269.JPG

IMG_9270.JPG

IMG_9271.JPG

IMG_9272.JPG

IMG_9273.JPG

Looks a good base. 

Not sure what that part is. My van doesn't have it fitted neither does my spare axle so probably just bin it. 

When I got my caddy the body was pretty rough. I painted it myself. Satisfaction of doing a pretty good job certainly pays off. Think mine cost about £150 to paint. 

Seem to remember them on the drum backing plates but don't know what they do either...

Looks like the axle is from a van with the earlier rear brakes. The later vans had different drums / stub axles and used the more modern 'Mk4' type wheel bearings. The axles are drilled differently so you can't swap the late bits onto early axle. No biggie, but brake shoes and cylinders are different so keep it in mind when buying parts (ie, don't go off the year of your van). Early axle fits the van the same so no issues there. Got an early axle on mine converted to discs (axle redrilled for Mk3 stubs). Notice you've got 5 stud wheels. Just adapters I take it ?

Ibiza / Cordoba electric mirrors will fit but you'll need the loom and switches from the same car. It's a stand alone loom that just plugs in but from memory it's clipped to underside of dash top so you have to take dash out to get it in one piece. Have heard of a few people putting Ibiza mirrors on then going back to standard as rear visibility is bad afterwards. You can get electric van mirrors but bit hard to find. These plug into Ibiza loom no problem. 

Old Ibiza or Cordoba as well as Polo saloon and estate are good for parts. Electric mirrors, electric windows (again, separate plug in loom), glovebox with lights, black dash (Seats), dark grey dash (Polos), dark carpets, etc, etc. Polo hatch is a different animal - not many parts fit the vans.

Door locks are terrible. Break often and freeze up in winter. I used rear handles off a Polo (no locks) and used a central locking kit wired to alarm to lock and unlock

I've got Mk3 Gti seats in mine - slight trimming of side trays and swapping seat backs over (passenger onto drivers squab, etc). Seats from Ibiza / Cordoba / Polo fit. Basically the Mk3 generation stuff will fit

Had mine about 10 years (!) although looking at 2K vans now

Happy motoring :)

14 hours ago, Swainy said:

Looks a good base. 

Not sure what that part is. My van doesn't have it fitted neither does my spare axle so probably just bin it. 

When I got my caddy the body was pretty rough. I painted it myself. Satisfaction of doing a pretty good job certainly pays off. Think mine cost about £150 to paint. 

Thanks man. Yeah it's a decent enough base with LOTS requiring fixed. But then thats to my benefit, the more i have to fix the more i'll learn about these little vans. And i think that by doing a lot of paint prep and work myself its a great way to learn about it. No better way to learn than on something that you would be hard pushed to make look worse. And at the end of the day its going to be a daily. So it doesn't have to be show car standard. Although i do want to get the finish as good as i can. 

13 hours ago, m6m62 said:

Seem to remember them on the drum backing plates but don't know what they do either...

Looks like the axle is from a van with the earlier rear brakes. The later vans had different drums / stub axles and used the more modern 'Mk4' type wheel bearings. The axles are drilled differently so you can't swap the late bits onto early axle. No biggie, but brake shoes and cylinders are different so keep it in mind when buying parts (ie, don't go off the year of your van). Early axle fits the van the same so no issues there. Got an early axle on mine converted to discs (axle redrilled for Mk3 stubs). Notice you've got 5 stud wheels. Just adapters I take it 

Yes thats where they are located. I stared at them for ages yesterday, and the ones on the axle thats fitted. They don't come into contact with anything, they don't rotate obviously, so they can't offer any sort of counterbalance effect. And they are only siliconed on.. so they're not exactly load bearing. They really seem useless, but part of my brain can't stop thinking ... why fit them?.. The amount of those vans that were originally manufactured, and the cost of fitting 2 or each of those things to each van... thats a lot of money when you add it up. 

Well spotted on the axle, thanks for that. I was about to buy bearings too. Saved my a$$. I'll make sure i buy the earlier parts. What was the date they changed the axle style do you know? About 1998 seems to be in my head for some reason. 

Yeah its adaptors that are fitted to allow me to run the corrodo wheels i had lying around. I know adapters get a lot of stick online. But these seem pretty sturdy. And i don't really intend to be racing it so hard that they'll be under too much stress. In the future there will be new alloys so these are just interim. 

Ive got a lead on a full mk3 gti leather interior near to me. So if i secure that the front seats from my mk3 will be going into the van hopefully. They're in need of a retrim but are nicer than whats currently fitted. 

Edited by jamieprang

Bit more axle work yesterday. Drums off, brake shoes out, bearings out. 

IMG_9274.thumb.jpg.2f3657573cf18d1d6ef07b65399d919e.jpg

IMG_9276.thumb.jpg.8e1e4490cf0108a69bb28953bd3645b3.jpg

IMG_9279.thumb.jpg.2a07395e62f992d34300324d400af5cb.jpg

Started soaking the axle bolts in this stuff. We've started using it offshore and its possibly the most effective penetrant I've ever used. Not exactly cheap. But handy to have for more important jobs. 

IMG_9277.thumb.jpg.2594688f502d63105afc58fec611acbf.jpg

Worksite foreman.... 

IMG_9278.thumb.jpg.6db899d951c01490929dedcd3453716d.jpg

I finished off the day by visiting VW to ask if they knew what the semi circular piece of metal from the back of the drum backing plate was... i went to 3 separate VW garages. Including the commercial van centre. Not one of them could tell me what purpose it serves... 

20170414_115730.jpg

This is one of mine. Like you say it's no show car finish as mines a used and abused daily but it's a hell of alot better than it was when I got it. 

You on caddy forum? 

Loads of handy info on there. 

Thats a pretty good finish for a home job. Is it rattle can or compressor spray that you used? Nice colour too, is it Ovni Yellow? 

I actually did try to register for the Caddy forum. But it wont let me. Each time i try to fill in the first section, which is the age part. I click on "proceed" and i get a warning message that i left a required field blank. The irony is i can ask any of the mods on there why its happening as i can't register... always did love a bit of irony. :lol: 

It's imola yellow. Painted with compressor and about a 20 year old devilbiss gun. It's 2 pack paint aswell. 

:lol: I'll have a word with someone on there and see what's going on. 

Ah yes. Thats the other yellow. Couldn't remember its name for the life of me. And couldn't get Ovni out of my head. 

Sweet, thanks man. Ive tried from several different computers and my phone but i get the same message each time. Very strange. 

Well that was a fun day.... law of sod says something will break exactly where you don't want it and when you are furthest from a garage.... one £35 pound return taxi and one £22 relay later.... it lives! 

IMG_9295.thumb.JPG.56e9e4de6cd44b4b647b23a4a9a8747b.JPG

good old 109!!! 

Edited by jamieprang

LOL, at least you knew what the problem was. Had one fail on me in the past and have kept a spare in the door pocket since then.

Has the bracket on the axle for the rear brake compensator spring been shortened?  When you do the flip you should shorten that bracket. The compensator spring should sit level when the van is on the ground.

8 hours ago, motomart said:

Has the bracket on the axle for the rear brake compensator spring been shortened?  When you do the flip you should shorten that bracket. The compensator spring should sit level when the van is on the ground.

Hmm... not sure. That axle came off a van that was flipped and in use. So from that I would assume it has. Be able to check when I get my axle removed from the van tho. I'm far far too hung over today to actually check. Ha ha. Top tip tho, thanks man. 

Edited by jamieprang

2 hours ago, apple-mobile said:

You have some epic dogs 

Ha ha, thanks. They're my mobile hangover cures. And the white one is an expert photobomber.... so will most likely be in the background of many photos to come. 

So, now the hangover has subsided, a little bit of Sunday work. I got a replacement carpet as the one in the van was pretty rank, smelled horrendous and so far has been  Uncleanable.

Also managed to get a set of leather seats for the mk3. So the standard gti seats will be going in the van. Drivers needs bolster work (shocker eh...). But they are otherwise good. 

Goodbye horrible standard seats! 

IMG_9311.thumb.JPG.ec7d4900ab29d85620baafc6bea250f4.JPG

Found a pretty nifty spacer for the handbrake cable...

IMG_9312.thumb.JPG.bdcf3a224512ceda55f63db85db26cf8.JPG

seats out and carpet up.... wow... I knew the guy before me had poured cooking oil all over this car... but wow. 

IMG_9313.thumb.JPG.5a1ebd1e95be7e182cf2bf5a91e773a2.JPG

IMG_9314.thumb.JPG.794a34fb306944b9b2e69532f751ee9a.JPG

bit of a dilema now and could use some advice. The factory footwell protection has melted (for want of a better word). Ok in some parts, drivers side not too bad. But bad in parts on the passenger side. I've scraped up by hand the sludgy stuff. Left the solid stuff behind. But it's still fairly tacky. 

IMG_9315.thumb.JPG.cdfdbbffad3b98354a490c82cf501d0b.JPG

IMG_9317.thumb.JPG.060f99e50ad091a77cbdbd1162fe4b3e.JPG

what should I do before putting down some new sound deadening? Scrape that stuff out completely or lay the sound deadening on top of it? 

I'd probably scrape off the worst and clean it really well before going on with new sound deadening 

Wow I bet that smells great haha

awesome progress on this so far though mate, you should chuck some cupra seats in whilst the standards are out. The difference is amazing 

18 hours ago, motomart said:

I'd probably scrape off the worst and clean it really well before going on with new sound deadening 

Thats the way i went in the end. Took it all as far as i could and cleaned up best as i could. Stopping short of taking the angle grinder and wire brush to it that was the best i could do. 

6 hours ago, scotty dog said:

Wow I bet that smells great haha

awesome progress on this so far though mate, you should chuck some cupra seats in whilst the standards are out. The difference is amazing 

Thanks man. Yeah, i did smell bad. NO matter how many magic trees i threw at it.. smelt like and old chip pan. Now the new carpet is in... what a difference. I've put my mk3 GTi seats in her for now. I fancy getting them re-trimmed in a more modern colour. Maybe the mk5 tartan colour. 

So the floorpan was cleaned as best as i could and the sound deadening put down. 

IMG_9324.thumb.JPG.a423cba2a82c73e4ab8a8947c84e54b9.JPG

IMG_9325.thumb.JPG.37deab308958b8b31cb47987d03d2f53.JPG

IMG_9326.thumb.JPG.47e2609a0efeee4e04cc62a98010287f.JPG

Carpet installed. (i'll thank any god for never having to do that again)

IMG_9327.thumb.JPG.758b196f88406bc983d86df0f3350e9f.JPG

And finally my mk3 GTi seats fitted. Swapped the backs over to make the recline knob more accessible. Fitting was a bit trial and error after some conflicting online reports on what method was easiest. I found that if i took out the bolt either side and swivelled the back on the clipped connection that the seat back flipped forward just like a 3 door seat. So i did one side like that. And the other side i installed by taking the seat back off altogether, then installing the base on its own and the seat back once the base was in. Really i don't think either way is easier. Its definately easier to get the seat base on its own into the runners. But then its a bit of a faff getting the setback on again in situ. Whereas installing the base and back together is a pain to get into the runners but then easier afterwards. Whatever floats your boat really but I'm glad i did both as i am now intimately familiar with the seats. 

IMG_9328.thumb.JPG.80fbf1393feff8a88e3078279441055b.JPG

IMG_9329.thumb.JPG.73dac2ed71c50b3ead9625124a90670f.JPG

Much better man ! Retrimming them would be cool yeah ! .. I've always fancied putting mk5 GTI seats in mine. Just don't want to spend any more money on it right now haha

17 hours ago, scotty dog said:

Much better man ! Retrimming them would be cool yeah ! .. I've always fancied putting mk5 GTI seats in mine. Just don't want to spend any more money on it right now haha

Yeah they can become a bit of a money pit. Worthwhile when you see the finished result though.