waj27

Vw Mk2 Jetta Coupe 4motion Build.

Update:

Final push to get few little bits done shell goes for painting next weekend hopefully have it back some time end of April so i can crack on with completing it.

Decided to ply and cover my boot floor, rising it up slightly means can have a nice even flush surface. Ordered more Interlagos fabric which i will finish it off in.

Dusty old boot.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-225d.jpg

Template

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2260.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2268.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2270.jpg

And the result

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2267.jpg   

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2274.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2278.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2277.jpg

Bought some sound deadening also so far only done the boot floor will get the insides done once's its back and dust free.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-226c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-226d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2271.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-227c.jpg

Moving on, one thing i never like about the jetta tailgate was the horrible hinge springs. so bind that idea and gone for gas struts but had to make some brackets to reinforce the mounting positions

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2276.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2273.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2279.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-227b.jpg

utilising the hotish weather managed to paint what i think is the final bit that i need to paint, which is the shortened drivers side drive shaft, over the weekend i went and helped to get it balanced or rather pressed back until it was true quite fun process.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-227d.jpg

using the tt dash the 2 middle vents are going to be obsolete so using them to house some gauges one temp and the other boost.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2203.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-21e4.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2202.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-21e9.jpg

adapters

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-21e8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-21e7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-21e5.jpg

Finally this is a little premature but got offered some tyres cheap so decided to dress the RS wheels, nothing crazy stretch wise and the rears still tuck under the stock arches but had to arch roll them. 195 40 on the 8.5J and 205 40 on the 9.5J

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2257.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-225a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2252.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2256.jpg

Update soon

• Like 6

Small Update:

Shell went off to be painted last weekend hopefully second time lucky and should have it back soon which means things should get exciting as its mainly just get things back on and mot it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22f2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22f3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22f1.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22f6.jpg

And my little helper the driver taking it away.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22f4.jpg

With the shell gone its freed me to do some other finishing touches to some bits one being the ply floor, had to wait for some interlagos fabric from Mexico but the wait was worth it happy with how its turned out.

Stapled some 3mm foam to the ply, bit of overkill but added it as an additional acoustic layer.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22f9.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2322.jpg

The fabric was just enough 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2324.jpg

The outcome.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-231f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-231a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2321.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-232e.jpg

Wanted to do this for ages but timing wasn't there now finally got round to it, Jetta boot lock plinth with the lock deleted.

ssc-Lzn-CTRh-Waiz-KFiw03-GA-thumb-22fd.j

e53j-UPqd-S4-G8-Lh-Nosfcy-Ow-thumb-2303.

FUhv-CCy-ER56-Ky-YJauc-TPmg-thumb-2300.j

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-22ff.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2305.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2301.jpg

2u-Oy-Rn-Y-Tym-AC5jd-MRz7k-Q-thumb-22fe.

mbnjt-Ojr-Rc-5-qk-W2-Lh-Mng-thumb-2326.j

x4-Eh48-Us-T0-W59ac-Dr-B9d-Hw-thumb-231b

NJof-Qx8z-Twar-Jl-Npm9-Tf-BQ-thumb-2319.

uysrg-Wg-RSg-Wwa-ZPf-Rj8ikg-thumb-2325.j

0-C-2jp-5-TIScj-Upuv-S7-MQQ-thumb-2318.j

V06drca-NQXq-Tb-XFv8-DEOr-Q-thumb-2320.j

And painted the rear spat arch guards to match

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-232f.jpg

Not got much left i can do while i wait for it to be painted so might be quiet for a while but appreciate all the comments

Edited by waj27
  • Like 5

Hi, new to the forum and was interested to see your restoration. I have had a mk2 for about 10 years now and was shocked to see how many rust repairs you had to do on the Jetta. Is this typical condition nowadays? Top work mate 

23 minutes ago, BeufordT said:

Hi, new to the forum and was interested to see your restoration. I have had a mk2 for about 10 years now and was shocked to see how many rust repairs you had to do on the Jetta. Is this typical condition nowadays? Top work mate 

Hi and welcome to the forum, cant speak for every mk2 but mine was in a bad state also i have no exact knowledge of where about's in holland it was from if its was close to sea side then but would explain why the rust was really bad i also went a bit overkill on some of the repairs only because it will be an ornament and with me for as long as it runs.

But some of the areas like scuttle corner, rear arch tubs, battery tray and filler cap are the common rust areas on a mk2

• Like 1

Still outstanding work mate. Totally in awe of what you have done. And i know I've said it before, but almost equally in awe of the fact you are doing it in a single garage. Ballsy! 

Update, though a pretty boring one at that.

Just twiddling my thumbs trying to find thing to do while i wait for the shell to be painted. Bought a e36 radiator some years back as it comes with an integrated expansion bottle, also Mercedes sprinter intercooler both been stored in the attic for a few years so thought i'd try to make some brackets to fix both together.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2416.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2409.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-240a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2404.jpg

Also had  the TT radiator which is slightly too big for the space but kept the larger fans and cut it in half to mount on the e36 rad

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-242c.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2412.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2419.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-242b.jpg

Made some brackets 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2427.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2426.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2425.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-242e.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2405.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2407.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-242f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2415.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2400.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-241f.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2420.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2423.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2418.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2411.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-241d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-241a.jpg

Second little task is my other front grille, much like the square headlamp set about making a single headlamp 7slat grille with projector angel eyes.

IMG-8583.jpg

IMG-8582.jpg

IMG-8584.jpg

IMG-8585.jpg

IMG-8587.jpg

IMG-8586.jpg

IMG-8590.jpg

IMG-8589.jpg

IMG-8592.jpg

IMG-8597.jpg

IMG-8598.jpg

IMG-8596.jpg

quick test fit grille is a little dusty

IMG-E8607.jpg

IMG-E8605.jpg

IMG-E8604.jpg

IMG-E8606.jpg

IMG-8611.jpg

Last bit is my fuel tank, managed to modify the tank to take all the TT fuel pump and sender units bit of a job due to hight issues but its all sealed up just need to weld on 2 vent plugs.

IMG-8603.jpg

IMG-8602.jpg

IMG-8601.jpg

Don't have much else to do other than wait.

• Like 1

Cheers for all the comments just trying my best to restore and put some finishing touches to a mk2

This is an awesome build cant wait to see the finished car. Really like the idea of the 3 rad fans this should keep thing cool and the airflowing.

6 hours ago, onewing said:

This is an awesome build cant wait to see the finished car. Really like the idea of the 3 rad fans this should keep thing cool and the airflowing.

Thanks mate, hopefully can tuck it in the slam panel gap

Cant help myself still finding little bits to do, so for the past year or so been searching for a Nos Westy front bumper and actually came close to buying one from the US last month but the shipping cost just makes it not worth the hustle so i've set myself a task to make one or rather just get rid of the plate recess on my stock one which needed painting anyway as the rear one is brandnew and the front is faded.

Turns out my type 19 front bumper is quite rare in itself as if you look close its different to the smaller bumper believe found on the post 87 mk2.

Photo of the post 87 bumper, 

s-l1600.jpg

Photo of my 85 bumper, notice the difference on the indicator plinth which is slightly deeper and the lower section isn't as deep as the post 87, probably not as noticeable at first glance but makes mine a closer match to a genuine westy so i'll give it a go.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-249b.jpg

Anyway started to chop away and also removed my chrome trim inserts, keeping part of the existing recess as i still want the bumper iron to clip in as normal and that middle section has extra support which will help with robustness and have a pretty good plan on how to secure the infill section.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2499.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-249a.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24ab.jpg

Section to be added.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-2498.jpg

After some trimming section is almost there, will need to add the lower curve section once I've bonded this on taking my time with this one as i don't want it to crack 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24ad.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24ae.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24af.jpg

Update soon on progress on the bumper shell still not here :(

• Like 2

Follow on from above,

Bumper is ready for filler then primer pretty happy with how its turned out so far.  To reinforce the add on section i cut some L brackets and welded a some nuts so i could bolt through the plate recess, and Q bonded some stainless mesh as well should make it pretty stiff

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24be.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24d2.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24c3.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24ce.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24bf.jpg

Plastic welded together

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24c9.jpg 

Current state of it need to add filler.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24e0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24d7.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24db.jpg

Made a bracket that will actually hold the plate bolts on to the bumper iron. Sort of which make the above counterintuitive haha

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW-thumb-24d5.jpg

• Like 2

The attention to detail you have is fantastic. Probably one of the only build threads that keep this forum alive.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, McPikie said:

The attention to detail you have is fantastic. Probably one of the only build threads that keep this forum alive.

Really appreciate that, helps as i'm also cataloging it all so don't want to just end up with the result but also the stages to get there.

• Like 3

Loving the Rad pack and OEM+ headlight. keep up the progress. 

I'm need to see this car when it's finished. 

On 5/31/2019 at 9:00 AM, Thars said:

Loving the Rad pack and OEM+ headlight. keep up the progress. 

Cheers mate 

On 6/12/2019 at 2:19 PM, Coakers said:

I'm need to see this car when it's finished. 

Me too don't know when that will be though