Sign in to follow this  
supadoopa_82

Golf Mk2 16v GTI Monza Blue Type 19

After a long wait (got married, bought a house and had kids!!!) I have finally jumped back on the mk2 golf bandwagon and very recently bought a Mk2 Golf 16v GTI Monza Blue.  It came with a boot full of goodies which I haven't had time to go through as yet. It looks like a half finished project so needs some love from the spray booth and parts desk!! I have already spent half the morning adding bits to my VW Heritage wish list...

Not looking to veer too far from the OEM look, so some subtle tweaks. Just looking to make the car reliable and get it back on the road for me to enjoy!

Plans for car, which are currently fluid:

• Monza Blue respray
  • Wideish wheels, possibly 16x8
  • Small bumper
  • Flowed head
  • Bike carbs (maybe)
  • I did think performance cams too but from my reading the 16v GTI cams are pretty cammy and im keen to preserve its drive-ability
  • Crystal clear lights all around with HID conversion.
  • G60 door handles (I think they're called), unless I find something nicer!

I am not crazy technical so I will be attempting/learning some bits myself but otherwise will be down to the experts. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0vhnp4edb29kf5n/Photo 26-02-2019%2C 8 50 53 am.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/emh2s7c6nzxrnzh/Photo 26-02-2019%2C 8 50 41 am.jpg?dl=0

Edited by supadoopa_82

Good luck with the build. 

G60 arches is probably what you meant, i hope you have deep pockets as used ones demand a premium and new ones are like Hens teeth.

I would look at brake upgrades to G60 front and moving away from the tapered bearing rear and onto a 6n2 polo rear stub axle. you could also look at mk4 rear calipers if inclined.

16x8 is probaly a nice size on the Golf, i run an 8.5 rear but with some stretch.

HID's might not be worth the hassle, i've only ever seen custom setups and they have been a bit naff / MOT debatable.

it will be good to see the pics of its progress though so keep those coming

all the best! Craig

58 minutes ago, cupracraig said:

Good luck with the build. 

G60 arches is probably what you meant, i hope you have deep pockets as used ones demand a premium and new ones are like Hens teeth.

I would look at brake upgrades to G60 front and moving away from the tapered bearing rear and onto a 6n2 polo rear stub axle. you could also look at mk4 rear calipers if inclined.

16x8 is probaly a nice size on the Golf, i run an 8.5 rear but with some stretch.

HID's might not be worth the hassle, i've only ever seen custom setups and they have been a bit naff / MOT debatable.

it will be good to see the pics of its progress though so keep those coming

all the best! Craig

Thanks Craig

I did think about a brakes upgrade but haven't researched enough to know which direction to go in, but i think you have done that for me!!!

Pretty much same as me mate had an oak green 16v years ago then sold it got married had kids and now have a royal blue 16v that I'm trying to get back on the road to enjoy !

All the best with it mate look forward to seeing it progress.

Nick

4 hours ago, nickvw78 said:

Pretty much same as me mate had an oak green 16v years ago then sold it got married had kids and now have a royal blue 16v that I'm trying to get back on the road to enjoy !

All the best with it mate look forward to seeing it progress.

Nick

Thanks buddy!

Funny how life gets in the way of the good stuff hey haha

**Update**

Since my initial post I have

- replaced the fuel pump

- fitted Miltek four branch manifold and scorpion exhaust with all new gaskets and clamps, although the exhaust is slightly blowy and needs some rewelding (MIG) (booked in for the 9th May)

- new manual window regulators on both sides

Bought:

- Hella rear spoiler with high level brake light

- various trims that are missing

- G60 steels that will be blasted and sold

- 16" steels which will replace the TSW's on it at the mo...after being banded to 8 and 8.5j

- roof gutter mouldings for a reasonable price!

- electric side mirror kit

Soon to be bought:

- front and rear small bumpers with red stripe

5 hours ago, Holdawayt said:

Pics would make this a whole load better. 

Not much to look to be honest. Its all boxed up in my shed...the parts I have bought anyway. But where there is some visual stuff(!) to see...I'll gladly share some 

The car is booked in for welding to the exhaust in a couple weeks, I'll get some pics of the car in the air with before and after

Edited by supadoopa_82

Yes pictures please, mines about to be resprayed monza blue so would love to see your build. 

On 4/27/2019 at 3:04 AM, Coakers said:

Yes pictures please, mines about to be resprayed monza blue so would love to see your build. 

The drop box links in my initial post, show where the car is at right now. hasnt been must change, its booked into the bodyshop for mid june.

I'll definitely be getting more pics at that point 

Bought me some wheels and so the predicament begins!!

These are current 16x8, et0. From conversations I have had, wheels at et0 need major arch work! Now i was always planning on arch work but nothing too drastic. Question is,

1. If I fit these at et0, will I be limiting my wheel choices for the future as body work will be modded for et0 fitment?

2. I did want to run 8j on the front and 8.5j rear but with et0 there'll be some serious poke...is it worth going wider?

3. To have the wheel widened and et changed (to et20) is £100 a wheel, is it worth it?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbz89qjr438tl37/wheels.PNG?dl=0

16 minutes ago, supadoopa_82 said:

Bought me some wheels and so the predicament begins!!

These are current 16x8, et0. From conversations I have had, wheels at et0 need major arch work! Now i was always planning on arch work but nothing too drastic. Question is,

1. If I fit these at et0, will I be limiting my wheel choices for the future as body work will be modded for et0 fitment?

2. I did want to run 8j on the front and 8.5j rear but with et0 there'll be some serious poke...is it worth going wider?

3. To have the wheel widened and et changed (to et20) is £100 a wheel, is it worth it?!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbz89qjr438tl37/wheels.PNG?dl=0

It will probably be cheaper to just go directly to Extreme Offset Wheels and order some custom steelies, exactly the same as the ones you have bought. They'll do them to whatever width/ET set up you want. 

http://www.extremeoffsetwheels.com/index.html

1 hour ago, AdamJonezy said:

It will probably be cheaper to just go directly to Extreme Offset Wheels and order some custom steelies, exactly the same as the ones you have bought. They'll do them to whatever width/ET set up you want. 

http://www.extremeoffsetwheels.com/index.html

Thanks mate,

That is where these are reportedly from! But I think I got these at a far better price than what they would charge, from looking at their site!